Reduce storage size of 'thumbs' folder (MovPic + TVSeries) (2 Viewers)

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Re: Reduce storage size of MovingPictures 'thumbs' folder.

9.30% are below 100kB (easy to compress 720p ones and some lower grade resolutions that I settled for, because I rather have crappy image then none at all)
    49.46% are 100-249kB (mix of 720p and easy to compress 1080p ones)
    36.47% are 250-499kB (all 1080p)
    4.31% are 500-999kB (lot of 1080p high quality backdrops and high resolutions such as 3600x2400)
    0.44% are 1-3MB (combination of rediculous resolutions, such as 10000x5623 and some new PNG images that got added after I ran my script)

Looks like I'll have to modify my script for the backdrops as well, because those resolutions higher then 1080p are just insane. I'll have to look for a way in which I can read the existing image resolution so I can target only the insane ones.

If anybody knows of an open source, or at least freeware command line utility to do that, lemme know.

loinbread

Portal Member
    June 26, 2009
    Home Country

So can we look forward to uniform JPG scraping for cover art and backdrops/fan art in future versions, or at least an option to enable this? I've just noticed that it has started downloading PNG fanart that can run up to 5mb in size, couple this with large cover art and thing do start to get a bit stressful.

Most of the backdrops that are scraped from themoviedb.org are stored there in JPEG anyway (as far as I'm aware, they're all JPEGs when you look through the movie fan art galleries) so it doesn't make much sense to scrape them and then convert to PNG.

Edit: I also noticed that when you manually add cover art, it also converts it to PNG. This is fairly superfluous, is it not? It converted a 250kb cover JPEG I cropped to a 533kb PNG.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006

So can we look forward to uniform JPG scraping for cover art and backdrops/fan art in future versions, or at least an option to enable this? I've just noticed that it has started downloading PNG fanart that can run up to 5mb in size, couple this with large cover art and thing do start to get a bit stressful.

Most of the backdrops that are scraped from themoviedb.org are stored there in JPEG anyway (as far as I'm aware, they're all JPEGs when you look through the movie fan art galleries) so it doesn't make much sense to scrape them and then convert to PNG.

Edit: I also noticed that when you manually add cover art, it also converts it to PNG. This is fairly superfluous, is it not? It converted a 250kb cover JPEG I cropped to a 533kb PNG.

The new system uses JPEG image format, as well as JPG file extension. However you need to compile the SVN yourself for this functionality. So just stay tuned for 3rd beta release, and you can use my reduction script from first post in the meantime if the storage becomes a problem.

loinbread

Portal Member
    June 26, 2009
    Home Country

The new system uses JPEG image format, as well as JPG file extension. However you need to compile the SVN yourself for this functionality. So just stay tuned for 3rd beta release, and you can use my reduction script from first post in the meantime if the storage becomes a problem.

Nah, it's okay, I was just wondering if it's a definite that it will be implemented. I used the script to shrink my cover art folder, backdrops are okay as I haven't added many movies since the beta release (those that I have, I manually took the JPEG from themoviedb)

lanceuppercu

Portal Pro
    January 13, 2008
    London

running the program now and looks to be doing its job, one thing is that its reduced a few fullsize backdrops to 0kb, probably going to need to get those again.
    if i've run it once, then later add more movies which need reducing, it wont do anything to the ones that its already been run on, right?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006

running the program now and looks to be doing its job, one thing is that its reduced a few fullsize backdrops to 0kb, probably going to need to get those again.
    if i've run it once, then later add more movies which need reducing, it wont do anything to the ones that its already been run on, right?

You wouldn't happen to have kept a copy of the original images that turned 0kB? Preferably the link to their themoviedb or impawards version.

And no, this is a real dumb script, so it will reprocess all the images it has done already. I was expecting the new Beta 3 release to be released soon, which should contain a fix for the problem. But since it's not out yet, I will try to find a command-line utility then that would allow me to detect the image format, so I can skip the JPEG based ones (even if they have a PNG filename extension), so that it will not reprocess any images.

lanceuppercu

Portal Pro
    January 13, 2008
    London

You wouldn't happen to have kept a copy of the original images that turned 0kB? Preferably the link to their themoviedb or impawards version.

And no, this is a real dumb script, so it will reprocess all the images it has done already. I was expecting the new Beta 3 release to be released soon, which should contain a fix for the problem. But since it's not out yet, I will try to find a command-line utility then that would allow me to detect the image format, so I can skip the JPEG based ones (even if they have a PNG filename extension), so that it will not reprocess any images.

i might have the files on another pc as i copied the database plus the whole of the folder a few days ago, let me have a hunt around for them.
    when you say it will reprocess them, it wont make them any less quality, would it?

edit: found them, uploaded them here: RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting --have included a before and after version of the files.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Re: Reduce storage size of MovingPictures 'thumbs' folder -- v2

I found a better command-line program, that allows me to identify if the image is in PNG image format, as well as prevent images getting resized that are smaller then the maximum height I want to use.

Please try that one :D

The fact it can identify the image format, means you can re-run the script as many times as you want (though I suggest to do it like once a week) and it will only process the new images. It will throw a ton of errors then saying the image format is wrong on the ones already in JPEG image format, but you can just ignore those.

lanceuppercu

Portal Pro
    January 13, 2008
    London

just tried the new one and seems good, the 5 ones i was having problems with worked fine this time.
    good job that man!

edit: scrolling seems a lot more better, probably due to the smaller file size of the images. shame i cant do the same to the tv-series images as well as they seem to pause while loading the background image when switching to a different series..

longdogs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2009
    Home Country

To me it is silly to retain some of those 10000x5000 backdrops that themoviedb.org offers.
    Report these bad backdrops on their forum and they will be dealt with, ie resized etc themoviedb.org
    TMDb expects backdrops to be only 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720, trouble is other sizes are uploaded by the contributors. Version 2 of TMDb should be running soon and will have a filter on the upload entry to prevent this, or so I have heard :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom