Reduce storage size of 'thumbs' folder (MovPic + TVSeries) (1 Viewer)

darkking

May 27, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Any one still have a copy of this? original link dosent seem to be working

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Any one still have a copy of this? original link dosent seem to be working

Guess MePo forum update lost the old files, the original attachment was 5 years old, but I still use it.

Updated first post with a fresh attachment, and also updated the NConvert links as they use a Linux server which is case-sensitive on the filenames and changed it from Nconvert-win.zip to NConvert-win.zip. Also noticed they now have a 64-bit binary, so added link to that as well. Did not test that yet though, might need to adjust batch file to compensate, but will do that when I have more time.

the_scotsman

Portal Member
    June 21, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Sort of related, but in the FilmStrip view of MovingPictures, the cover images are of very poor quality. yet when I click on a movie and view the info screen, the cover image for the movie is crystal clear.

Is there a way to fix the FilmStrip view to be sharp and clear?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    @the_scotsman, check the skin, what image does it use? Might be easy adjustment then with the skin, if you have a fast system to keep up with things (SSD holding the images, etc).

the_scotsman

Portal Member
    June 21, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I'm using Titan Extended. I have a decent system, SSD holding the images. I've set any options I can find to high quality. but they're very basic and not at all sharp looking, not like the image shown inside a particular movie page.

Isn't the code for these images going to be part of the moving pictures xml files, not the skin?

Thanks for trying to help. it's the one thing that's really annoying me about this. I'm guessing they should be clear and sharp by default? Don't they use the same image that's shown in the page of a particular movie?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Those XML files residing in the /skin folder *are* the skin files, and the one relating to moving-pictures will usually identify themselves as such.

The skin file in question might rely on the reduced quality images. These are created during import by MovPic based on the advanced settings you can adjust (but that will then only count towards newly imported movies/artwork).

Good quality = [MP-DATA-FOLDER]/thumbs/MovingPictures/covers/fullsize/{title}.jpg
    Reduced quality = [MP-DATA-FOLDER]/thumbs/MovingPictures/covers/thumbs/{title}.jpg

Some of those fullsize ones can be high resolution, and like 3MB in size. That can cripple even a moderately fast system (the main point for this batch file was to reduce filesize, but also indirectly allow the HTPC to process them faster when scrolling through the details view fast)

I do not use the FilmStrip view often enough to comment on what quality it uses, but should be easy to check.

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    MovingPictures only uses the thumb (small) image for populating the facade.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I did notice there was an "XL" option in Titan config for MovPic, not sure if that modifies the FilmStrip view.

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Maybe that is referring to the size of the thumbnail presented in the skin, the plugin will still load the images in the thumbs directory regardless. The only way to improve them will be to change the advanced setting in the plugin which control the size of thumbs. For your existing thumbs you will need to delete them if you want the new setting to be respected so they can be regenerated when requested from the full size image.

Note: if you increase the image size for the thumbs expect slower performance in loading facades!

Last edited:

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    I tried this and it f*cked up most of the thumbs.
    It copied the first thumb as the majority of the other movie thumbs so the all had the same image.
    Deleted everything and reran the importers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom