Rejoining movie files after import (1 Viewer)

Bingle

Portal Member
August 8, 2006
Hi,

I did my first import last night - thanks very much for getting the IMDB source working, Fforde!

However, I didn't realize at first that it was sometimes adding two files as the same movie twice (i.e. Full Metal Jacket 1 and Full Metal Jacket 2 would be added as Full Metal Jacket both times). A bit later I saw the "join" button to join two related files together, but I already had the movies in my database at that point, and I can't figure out how to rejoin them there. Any hints?

Thanks!

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
On the movie manager screen click the "Reassign Files to New Movie" button for each of the files. On this dialog you can't split or group a movie, so just pick the first match and click OK. Then switch to the Movie Importer tab and the files will now be on the importer list where you can join them. I will see about grouping and splitting functionality from the Movie Manager panel, this would definitely be a usability flaw...

EDIT: Here we go. Will get this fixed.

nmt1978

Portal Pro
October 14, 2008
On the movie manager screen click the "Reassign Files to New Movie" button for each of the files. On this dialog you can't split or group a movie, so just pick the first match and click OK. Then switch to the Movie Importer tab and the files will now be on the importer list where you can join them. I will see about grouping and splitting functionality from the Movie Manager panel, this would definitely be a usability flaw...

EDIT: Here we go. Will get this fixed.

Hi
Moving pictures detects multi parts very well, but when i play the movie from moving pictures within MP, it only plays the first part of the movie

How it can let me to choose which part to play within MP?

marvenius

Portal Pro
September 3, 2008
Belgium
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi
Moving pictures detects multi parts very well, but when i play the movie from moving pictures within MP, it only plays the first part of the movie

Hey there,
Do you mean you have a sequel to a movie joined as 1 single movie?
The functionality is basically designed to join several parts (e.g. cd 1 and cd 2) of 1 movie (not sequels) as 1 playable movie.
Therefor you can not "choose" to start playing the movie from halfway.

If, on the other hand, you have a sequel to a movie, this feature is not meant to join those and I think it would be best to un-join them and enter the movies as single entities in the database.

nmt1978

Portal Pro
October 14, 2008
Hi

Hey there,
Do you mean you have a sequel to a movie joined as 1 single movie?
The functionality is basically designed to join several parts (e.g. cd 1 and cd 2) of 1 movie (not sequels) as 1 playable movie.
Therefor you can not "choose" to start playing the movie from halfway.

If, on the other hand, you have a sequel to a movie, this feature is not meant to join those and I think it would be best to un-join them and enter the movies as single entities in the database.

Hi, no it's not sequel.
Some of my movies were splited into several parts (cd1 and cd2 etc) and moving pictures joined them as 1 entry in its database (very good same as plugin "MyFilm"). But it only play the 1st part of the movie when i click to play ("MyFilms let us to choose which parts to play)

marvenius

Portal Pro
September 3, 2008
Belgium
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
OK, clear on that one. I guess you may have discovered a bug :(
Over here all parts play just nicely. So both part 1, directly followed by part 2.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi, no it's not sequel.
Some of my movies were splited into several parts (cd1 and cd2 etc) and moving pictures joined them as 1 entry in its database (very good same as plugin "MyFilm"). But it only play the 1st part of the movie when i click to play ("MyFilms let us to choose which parts to play)
Part two should automatically start playing after part one ends. It does not prompt youto pick by design because it assumes that the two files should be treated as one movie.

In the next version it will actually prompt you which disk to play if the media files are disk images (based on the assumption that if you have two image files, you have a primary disk and a bonus disk). But I think it should never prompt for a part to play for a movie that has arbitrarily split into two files.

So are you seeing behavior different from what I am describing? Is it playing only part one for you, then stopping?

nmt1978

Portal Pro
October 14, 2008
Hi, no it's not sequel.
Part two should automatically start playing after part one ends. It does not prompt youto pick by design because it assumes that the two files should be treated as one movie.

In the next version it will actually prompt you which disk to play if the media files are disk images (based on the assumption that if you have two image files, you have a primary disk and a bonus disk). But I think it should never prompt for a part to play for a movie that has arbitrarily split into two files.

So are you seeing behavior different from what I am describing? Is it playing only part one for you, then stopping?

Yes, it is only playing one part (the 1st part) for me and then it stops. :( is it a bug?
In addition, i think the function that prompt us to choose which part (if the movie was splited into several parts) to play make it more convenient .

Edit: my above problem happens only if i play movie by an external player. When i change back to internal player. the movie's parts were play subsequently.

marvenius

Portal Pro
September 3, 2008
Belgium
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
In addition, i think the function that prompt us to choose which part (if the movie was splited into several parts) to play make it more convenient .
I disagree on that one. When the resume feature is released, I do not see the added value of asking the user (viewer) what part he wants to start... When I watch a movie it's either from the beginning, or the point where I left off. Hardly (if ever) from part x of the movie...
So I don't see the point in that feature...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom