Release plans for Beta 2 (0.2) (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

Just downloaded Media Portal 00.10 earlier this week. Awesome! (I also have MCE and Showshifter) so I have a lot to compare with.

I still have a few things to work out like the channel guide and record functions but should have that in place in a few more days.

What about an integrated CD extraction (rip) functionality. Is it in the works? Or is this something I can call up under Programs...

Keep up the great work. I think Santa is going to be good to you this year.

Centurion

A

Anonymous

I've just started using MP, so be gentle.

Usability:
- Update program automatically when configuration is changed. I've restarted MP about a zillion times already.
- Update TVGuide database when xml file changes (set time interval). Right now I had to delete the database when I wanted to delete some channels.
- Make documentation easier to read and with more tutorials (tutorial on XMLTV is excellent example, even an idiot (me) got in on the first try)

I would also really like a list of hardware (sound, video, tv tuner etc.) that you know works with the latest version.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks guys

A

Anonymous

Useability
- don't popup menus when selecting items in list, should really take user to a item summary screen with the options down the left. (ie TV Recordings List)
- provide more summary information for shows, recordings, songs etc
- allow for viewing upcoming recordings and show episodes

A

Anonymous

Useability

- Unify GUI:
Use in My Music the same fast forward & backward function as in My TV. Instead of 4 different speeds I think the UI-pattern to position in My TV-OSD is smarter: +15sec +30sec +1min.....

- The left/right spin control to select the TV channels is difficult to handle with a remote control. I think a list selection would be better - at least in OSD.

- Better OSD information especially in My Music: Title, Album, Interpret, Genre...

A

Anonymous

what about adding something that will let you add songs to playlists, and somethign that will let you add a file to the alarm

cheffe97

Portal Pro
August 10, 2004
Berlin, Germany
usability:
I heard on IRC that u plan to make context menus for mouse users.
Please keep in mind that for touchscreen users it is software dependend if they have a right mouse click. In my case there is only single and double left click.
If u need someone to test or give ideas come to me.
For TV there still should be made something for osd channel surfing (not zapping, channel + or minus but a menu with stations u can click and open)
cheers
cheffe

A

Anonymous

frodo said:
Offcourse adding new features/options may make it more usable for a specific group. But with usability i mean the current set of functionality
and make that better usable, more understanding
Most of your points about usability is about new options in the configuration. this is not exactly what i meant

Frodo

For me usablility is really about the whole MediaPortal experience. I (from an end-user's point of view) think this can be split into three main areas:

• Installation
    Configuration
    Application navigation (front-end in the absence of a better description)

If you primarily want to concentrate on the last area for 0.2, then OK I understand. If however you are looking at overall usability then you need to consider all three.

For my two cents.
Installation could be improved if it could scan for available hardware (WMI?) - tv card, video card, internet connection, country location, etc and suggest best suggestion settings. Including codecs (if possible) would be great.

Configuration would be improved if it was integrated. I was thinking about this a while ago, trying to figure out the best way to do this. Unfortunately I can't draw, but I was thinking of a button on the main menu which would create a frame down the left side. In this frame would contain configuration areas, click on each one and the main screen would change to that configuration page. I am thinking of something similar to the way Outlook 2003 handles the selection of its different sub-program areas. Obviously there would be an option on this left menu which would return you to MP and hide the frame again.

Configuration pages should also have help buttons which links directly to that area of the configuration guide in the wiki. Technical terms used in the configuration could be linked to the wiki's glossary, etc.

[maybe a feature request :wink: ]
I also think the skins, plugins and manuals should be seperated and downloadable on request. What I mean is MP should only come with the basic functionality menu items (all turned on by default), one default skin (Samsonite's new one he was thinking about :? please finish it) and that's it. It would cut down the size of the download quite a bit, and allow you to concentrate on the main functionality. On the website there would be a plugin download page, skin download page and a manual download page. Even better, have a download option under the settings button on the main menu which would allow you to preview new skins and plugins, download and install them. Meedio seems to have a nice setup for this.
[/maybe a feature request :wink: ]

Other things I agree with:

• better mouse support
    option to display back button on all screens
    keystrokes work the same across MP
    global keystrokes to take you to main menu items

Frodo: I have just got back from a weeks holiday. While away I started reading a beginners book on C#. Your project has even managed to inspire a system admin / network engineer type to learn a bit more about the "dark side". :shock:

drullens

Portal Pro
October 28, 2004
Dongen
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Well, here's my input...

- global shortcuts for extending the use of remote control, for example, go directly to TV or Music or TV Guide

- if you support hardware, support ALL features of that hardware, in particular the tv-out of the Hauppauge PVR-350.

- faster changing of tv-channels

Grts, Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom