[solved] Remote Client Not Connecting to TV Server (1 Viewer)

LeeTXJD

Portal Member
May 12, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I am not new to MediaPortal, but this is the first time I have set up a client on a PC other than the PC with the TV Server.

I know that IP address and network name of the TV Server PC., but when I enter either one into the hostname filed, I receive an error.

The error is "Unable to connect to TV Server on host 'IP ADDRESS'.

Are there ports that I need to make sure are open on the host PC? Is there a setting in the TV server config that may need to be changed?

I can't find any special instructions.

One note: the TV server was originally a single seat installation, but now I am attempting to use a remote PC (in another room) for the client.

Any help or direction is appreciated.

-LeeTXJD

LeeTXJD

Portal Member
May 12, 2012
Home Country
I have confirmed that it is a firewall issue on the TV Server PC. I turned off the firewall on the TV server PC and everything worked.

Does anyone have instructions for the outgoing and incoming firewall exceptions?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Does anyone have instructions for the outgoing and incoming firewall exceptions?
    I have only ever used an MP client that is on the same system as TV Server, so I have no specific advice for you. However...

Make sure that your home network is classified by Windows as a "private network", and not a "public network". I find network setup is quite perplexing at times, and I usually end up wandering around various panels trying different settings until I find the one that works.

Perhaps someone who has set up separate client and server systems has some specific advice?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I assume you found this already but here's something that explains it: Firewall Settings
    disclaimer: did not verify that it's not outdated info...
    If that didn't fix it, I'll go dig in the firewall settings of our tvserver
    Edit: still strange, the installer should set these automatically. if not it's possibly a bug in the installer and should be fixed

LeeTXJD

Portal Member
    May 12, 2012
    Home Country
    No, I had not! I was going to start today and search the forums for "firewall". I may have ended up in the install wiki, but I was focused on the forums.

Thanks.

LeeTXJD

Portal Member
    May 12, 2012
    Home Country
    So far no luck with the Firewall issues. The TVService SetupTV MediaPortal and MySQL all have permissions to accept incoming requests.

When using netstat I noticed that the remote PC is accessing svchost.exe - I am warned that this is part of Windows hardening. Anyone have insight on the need to access svchost for a remote mediaportal setup?

Otherwise, I'm baffled, but not giving up.

LeeTXJD

Portal Member
    May 12, 2012
    Home Country
    I have resolved the problem. It was a Windows Firewall setting.

I could not resolve it myself through the Firewall settings. I then used the manual installation instructions on this link: Firewall Settings

Thanks to doskabouter for the link.

I can only suppose that one of these settings was not properly set on my original installation.

-LeeTXJD

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    You could try using the UNC paths for the timeshift and record folders.

On the client machine go to MediaPortal configuration - TV/Radio - Advanced Options tick the UNC paths tick box and put the network paths for timeshift and record folders in the appropriate lines and click OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom