Remote Desktop: How to Setup a Keyboard-less XP HTPC? (1 Viewer)

bigboss97

Portal Pro
January 31, 2006
Sydney
Home Country
I'm running my MP on XP (SP2) with a wireless trackball and using an USB keyboard. I only connect it when I need to do some installations or setup. Since it's not very comfortable to do this in front of a plasma tv I've just tried out the XP remote desktop (RD) to control the HTPC from a PC.

Originally, my PC was setup without any login and password. But without password RD doesn't work. So, I added a single letter password. It's still okay when I boot the PC, no need to enter passord. But whenever I've used RD the HTPC is locked. Then I need to enter the password (connect my keyboard) to unlock it.

I found the problem described on net
secure.experts-exchange.com
but haven't found the solution.

What I currently need is either a solution for the above problem
or
something allows me to unlock my HTPC without a keyboard (with mouse click)

thanks
Phuoc

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
August 26, 2004
West Yorks, UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
or.....don't use RD, use VNC instead (e.g. Real VNC http://www.realvnc.com/cgi-bin/download.cgi)

That way Windows won't lock your console when you're remotely controlling it.

Note: You can override the password requirement when connecting using RDP, it's just a policy setting, but Windows will still lock your console when you RDP onto your XP install.

phpchris

Portal Pro
June 18, 2005
Well but I think neither VNC nor RDP are supporting Direct X so I think prolly the best is to install the webinterface...

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
phpchris said:
Well but I think neither VNC nor RDP are supporting Direct X so I think prolly the best is to install the webinterface...

Uhm.....I don't think you understood the original request.

VNC is probably the best idea (as already suggested).

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    Indeed, use VNC. I do it all the time and it works fine, lets me even control MP if I need to.

Simply set up the VNC server to run as a service, so it will always be there when you need it. This way you can easily control your HTPC.

Keep in mind though to disconnect before using the HTPC in front of the PC again, since it does stress the system a bit, especially when there is lots of movement, like whne using MP.

NickName

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 23, 2006
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Remote Desktop

Hi all,

You can use Remote Desktop for multiple concurrent users by replacing termsrv.dll with termsrv.dll from a beta version of XP Media Centre 2005. There is also a single registry key to create/update and little else...

This only works for XP Professional or Media Centre 2005 not XP Home.

By doing this you can login remotely without logging out the current local user. This means Mediaportal keeps playing TV, etc. whilst you work on it remotely
    I have seen this working on several PC's. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom