Remote Desktop: How to Setup a Keyboard-less XP HTPC? (1 Viewer)

Eeyore

Portal Pro
April 2, 2006
Newcastle, Australia
Home Country
Re: Remote Desktop

NickName said:
Hi all,

You can use Remote Desktop for multiple concurrent users by replacing termsrv.dll with termsrv.dll from a beta version of XP Media Centre 2005. There is also a single registry key to create/update and little else...

This only works for XP Professional or Media Centre 2005 not XP Home.

By doing this you can login remotely without logging out the current local user. This means Mediaportal keeps playing TV, etc. whilst you work on it remotely
I have this working on several PC's at home. :lol:
If anyone is interested, PM me with an email address and I'll send instructions and the DLL.

This is not a legal solution

Tricky

September 21, 2004
I have tried to use UltraVNC but I cannot see the skins for media portal. What skins and screen setups are you guys using to enable VNC to support remote control of media portal???
All I get is an empty windows with the top menu bar, I can see the configuration panes correctly just not the front end menus and sub menus e.g. MyTV, MyVideos,...etc.
Thanks for any help you may have.
Rick

tklon

Portal Pro
September 3, 2004
Germany
Home Country
Germany Germany
Since I use MP I'm using RealVNC to control my HTPC. Only videos/tv is not shown in realtime. This is a bit heavy for vnc. I use VLC media player to stream tv.

On my other PC I autostart the vncviewer in listen mode. After that there is a small icon near the clock to quickly connect to my HTPC. The vncserver on the HTPC is configured that it only accepts connections from the ip address of my PC. No password needed.

Easy setup. Works perfect. :)

GenesisFactor

Portal Member
June 27, 2006
A few things

1) you can have XP log in automatically password or not, for any user (i use remote desktop for my server computer, and that's my main method of messing with it). Its pretty easy, i can't recall it right now. Google it. If you really can't find it, i'll give you a rundown

2) VNC is good as well, RD is just easy and built in.

ditronics

Portal Member
February 14, 2006
Well, only need to save your RD configuration when you connect for 1st time (same user and same pass) and it will works.

Where is the problemo?

NickName

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 23, 2006
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    roosterx said:
    ditronics: that solution is not what i asked for, that solution is only for WinXP to automaticly log-on on reboot/boot.
    Hi Roosterx,
    When you setup your XP to Autologin, it uses a stored password in the registry to login. This is your 'single' key login password.

When you login remotely using Remote Desktop, it logs off the local current user.
    This means a user must login locally again to gain access.
    You need to have 'multiple concurrent users' enabled to allow two users at the same time and thereby not need to login again locally.
    MS was going to do this originally with Microsoft Media Centre but pulled the required DLL when they released (non-beta) Microsoft Media Centre.
    FYI. The settings are all still in XP Professional and Media Centre to this and technically it is illegal but still entirely possible to do.
    I believe they pulled it because on a slower Media Centre PC, there is a noticeable 'interference' in the local PC's operation i.e. jerky TV, etc.
    My guess is they are saving this functionality for the new Vista as an incentive to switch from XP. That is only guess though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom