Remote (Logitech Harmony), IR Server, HIP, MPTrayMod and other doubts... (1 Viewer)

shazar

March 12, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hey!

I am about to have a similar issue I am sure... I don't know all the abbreviations and all so bear with me.

I just built a HTPC and have Media Portal installed with the install guide at AVSforums with StreamedMP skin. I am using AVC Core Codec pack, Xvid, and AC3filter. I don't record TV, but I download shows from news groups to watch.

I am very interested in getting my Harmony 550 remote to work with the HTPC. I did a little research and found schematics for a IR reciever that will plug into the serial port. I completed the IR receiver build last night.

It seems like at this point there are a lot of directions to go... I see a ton of software mentioned (Girder, IR Server, LIRC, ect) and reading this thread there are plugins as well!

With my setup what do I need to do to get things rolling? How does it all come together?

Something else I want to do that I haven't seen around is can I program a button on my remote to enter my PCs password at the login screen?

Thanks,
Patrick

tesKing

Portal Member
February 25, 2009
Roma
Home Country
Italy Italy
I am very interested in getting my Harmony 550 remote to work with the HTPC. I did a little research and found schematics for a IR reciever that will plug into the serial port. I completed the IR receiver build last night.

It seems like at this point there are a lot of directions to go... I see a ton of software mentioned (Girder, IR Server, LIRC, ect) and reading this thread there are plugins as well!

With my setup what do I need to do to get things rolling? How does it all come together?

Mh, it seems u are not at my same point. Cause I'm using an IR receiver from a eHome MCE Remote kit, connected via USB. So I think first of all u need to know if it works and how it sends command to HTPC. Here I cannot help u.
If u are sure about the correct receiving command by the HTPC, set your Harmony as Microsoft/Windows Vista Media Center Edition OR Media Portal/MediaPortal (they are the same!). After go to MP (1.0.0.0) Configuration / Remote and check MCE Remote or Keyboard AND General HID. In this way u will be able to control all functions of MP except the "Previous window": to let this works too u need to use HIP (I have unistalled all other softwares).

Something else I want to do that I haven't seen around is can I program a button on my remote to enter my PCs password at the login screen?
Patrick

Before u log on Windows, only services work... eHome driver by Microsoft (when u use MCE remote), do this... and u can use the keyboard (T9 style) to input your password... probably (I'm not sure), u can build a Macro on Harmony that send same commands (rec them as action to assign to a Other Buttons in Harmony)

Ciao!

shazar

March 12, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Alright, that was a good summary!

So once I get the IR receiver to see the signals from Harmony I can follow your path to get everything else working. Thank you for your input!

So... anyone want to point me in the right direction to get the IR Receiver via Serial to recognize signals from the harmony remote?

Maybe I should start a new thread just for this purpose?

Thanks,
patrick

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom