Remotes and TV cards

Discussion in 'General' started by VictorFrankl, April 17, 2018.

1. VictorFrankl

VictorFrankl Banned Users

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    First post. I only started looking into this whole HTPC thing this week as a result of my kids TV dieing of old age.Anyway, there's a PC is in the same room so I figured it would be easier to get a TV card and the whole thing has spiraled out of control. Anyway, some surfing has brought me here and I have a question regarding remote control.
    I've bought a Hauppauge 878 TV card on ebay as it's on the compatability list, it comes with a Hauppauge remote btw. I was wondering about getting an MCE remote control, do I have to make sure and get a remote receiver that's compatable with whatever remote I get to plug into the card or are the receivers which come with the cards and various MCE remotes all compatable?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CyberSimian
    • Team MediaPortal

CyberSimian Test Group

Ratings:
    +981 / 3
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    The remote transmits a particular signal encoding, and the receiver has to be able to understand that encoding. So remotes and receivers need to be correctly paired.

The most-common remote is the "MCE RC6 remote" (e.g. Hewlett Packard remotes). The IR receiver for this plugs into a USB socket, not the tuner card. This type of remote is the easiest to get working with MP.

Another type is the "MCE non-RC6 remote" (e.g. the Ortek VRC-1100). This must be used with its own IR receiver; it won't work with an MCE RC6 IR receiver. This type requires more setup to get working with MP, but there is a support package available for it.

Another type of remote is the manufacturer-specific remote (e.g. your Hauppauge remote, or my TBS remote). These plug into the tuner card, and may be difficult to get working with MP. In fact I don't use the TBS remote that was included with my tuner card; instead I use an Ortek IR receiver, with the Ortek signalling loaded into a Harmony 650 universal remote.

If you want a simple life, get an MCE RC6 remote (insist on "RC6").

If you like a challenge (or are trying to minimise cost), you may be able to get your Hauppauge remote to work (I don't know, as I have never used Hauppauge with MP).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Stéphane Lenclud
    • Team MediaPortal

Stéphane Lenclud Development Group

Ratings:
    +1,270 / 8
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Remotes and TV Cards are two very different things, though some TV Cards manufacturer did provide built-in remote receiver they are often tricky to get working with your applications.

I would recommend to get a TV card without a built-in receiver together with a remote receiver from Inteset.
    For the remote itself I'm using various generic remotes such as Logitech Harmony 950 and Philips Prestigo SRU6008/10.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!