Removal of Windows 10 "sleep" feature (1 Viewer)

GlamRockCowboy

Portal Pro
October 25, 2015
Fairview, TN (ca. 20 mi. SSW of Nashville)
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Within the past few days, I have read at least one online report that states that, when the Windows 10 Anniversary Update takes effect, the "sleep" state capability of Windows will vanish, never to return. (IIRC, the online source was ZDNET.) Since this could potentially have a significant impact on MP's timed recording capability, I was wondering if there is some sort of "work-around" available or at least in the works. Given the nature of this development, I was not sure if this was the proper place to make this posting. If not, please feel free to move it to whatever area you feel would be best.

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Seems not [removal would be beyond silly anyway].

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3093...rom-windows-10-in-the-anniversary-update.html

No sleep for the Anniversary Update
    Editor's note: This section originally stated that sleep and hibernate aren't available in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. That was incorrect; the author's system firmware doesn't support those functions, so they didn't appear in his power options. Sleep and hibernate will indeed still appear on most PCs with the Anniversary Update installed. We regret the error.
    JCMP

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    OK - so I have the upgrade.

As expected I see no no changes in power management that would affect sleep/hibernate.

Process - painless - about 30 mins elapsed covering down load to final boot.

Existing global privacy settings are re-set, so have to turn them all back off, plus seem to be a few [very few] new settings you may want to turn off as well.

Cortana runs despite having registry key set and GPO settings - seems to ignore them - fix - rename Cortana directory [use task manager, go to file location, rename the directory {you will get a 're-try' prompt, at that point kill Cortana process and hit re-try, do it quick before Cortana restarts} and then reboot].

Things like 'Get Office' are back, and you can uninstall them from GUI, but only until next reboot it seems - need to go down PowerShell route I think.

Rest seems to work AOK [but only completed update 45 mins ago] and in process of getting the Unbuntu on Windows support.

More later if it's worth posting.

Slight later...........

Unbuntu installed - very quick, looks like a solid implementation.
    1st update - sqlite3 for DB tinkering - [cmd is 'sudo get-apt sqlite3'], 2/3 seconds perhaps, very impressed so far [the 'Nix' capability in Anniversary update is my main interest anyway]...

MePo performance - difficult to tell but AVG CPU usage may be slightly less [I didn't benchmark it], certainly nothing I noted to suggest any adverse impact - so far, so good.

TTFN - JCMP

Last edited:

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks for the update, recently updated my Surface 4 and seeing the same results :)
    The resetting of privacy settings will surely cause some unrest and maybe even legal issues as even though they you are able to turn them off manually I no longer got the wizard to do it after upgrade, basically silently re-enabled those settings which is bad practice imo.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Further to the last 2 posts I also ran the update, all was good on my desktop PC but I had a problem with it on my HTPC. Initially everything looked OK but following a resume from sleep I had an audio problem, there was a slow beating noise coming from the speakers (lower than 50hz hum) and no other audio worked. Power cycling the HDMI connected AVR, closing MP1 and TV Service, signing out all failed to clear the problem, In the MS audio "playback devices" setup any attempt to change or test the setup resulted in an error message indicating something else was already playing on the AMD HDMI device and only a reboot cleared the problem. I was using the latest AMD Catalyst drivers (15.7.1) available for my graphics card (now considered a legacy product so nothing newer) but I did try a Beta test version of the Crimson drivers for my card, which worked.:) However I do not like the limited settings available with the Crimson driver package so went back to Catalyst, confirmed the problem again then simply used the Crimson package to just upgrade the audio driver, which also resolved the problem.
    In conclusion it does appear that MS have done something to sleep/resume that does effect older AMD HDMI Audio drivers.(n)

Last edited:

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Did have to turn off hibernate completely on my main HTPC machine again (powercfg -h off) even though it wasn't setup in the power profile, otherwise it wouldn't wake up properly sometimes like with a clean Windows 10 install.
    Odd little bug they have with power management as with Windows 8.1 before this was fine so yeah they definitely are changing things in this area, RDP client has gotten worse with their new authentication interface for it as it no longer allows easy switching to other users via keyboard because down no longer brings up user/pass input which means you have to specifically mouse click "more choices".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom