Removing and adding TV Cards (1 Viewer)

globaldonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    I got myself into all sorts of knots recently trying to change TV cards with Media Portal. I am running RC 2, no SVN's. Without going into too much detail, I was basically trying to replace a Divico card with a DNTV card. I stopped the TV service, then removed the Dvico drivers and hardware, then rebooted and added the DNTV card and drivers.

When TV Service was restarted, I could see the DNTV card in TV Service Configuration, and I could also see the old DVICO card all disabled. At this point, there was no way to remove the DVICO card - the remove button was greyed out, and I could only (try to) enable or disable the card.

So I tried deleting the whole TV Server. This prompted me to stop and restart the TV Service. After this, the DVICO card was gone from the configuration but the DNTV card was listed in the right hand pane when I click on the TV Server, but it was not on the left hand side pane, so I couldn't tune it. I tried stopping / starting and deleting the server again, but I could not get the DNTV card to appear in the left hand pane so I could tune it. I could however, add the card to groups so I could group the DVB-T and analogue for hybrid operation.

I then tried uninstalling and re-installing the TV Server, and despite saying I did not want a backup of the configuration, the DNTV card appeared with the same hybrid configuration as before, and I still could not tune it. I was noticing errors in the TV error log about not being able to connect to the database even though the id and password were right. Also, there were other errors about inserting rows in the database.

So by about this time, I was suspecting I had a corrupt MSSQL database. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling both SQL and TV Service. This time, when TV Service tried to start, I got an error that it could create the database because it already existed (so the database got left behind after the MSSQL uninstall). I deleted the databases and finally everything came good. I can now tune and use the DNTV card.

The main point in writing all this is that the process for adding and removing TV cards needs a bit of work I think. I think I wound up with a pretty corrupted SQL database as a result of trying to firstly delete one card and adding another. It would be good if something could be added to the Wiki about how to do this properly. It's not something that everybody will need to do, but if you do, it would be nice to know it works.

aidbish

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2007
    righthandside 3/4 way up
    Hi GlobalDonkey
    I recently had this problem and i fixed it by going into device manager and showing hidden devices, i then removed them from here, i then was able to remove from tv config
    hope this helps

ade

globaldonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Thanks ade..... that's a good tip which I'll keep in mind if I go through this process again. May not have helped my new card not configuring properly, but certainly could help with getting rid of the old card out of the config.

Hope all is good in Mackay and your post office is open again ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom