Replacement MTN (Thumbnailer) for H264 content (1 Viewer)

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi there,

Get rid of the ".txt" from the end - it should be just "mtn.debug"

I need to look at the code for blacklisting... I thought it was more than just one failure, but I could be wrong.

J.

This time it works like a charm. Thumbnail was generated although it never was properly done with the old mtn.exe on this tv show.
    Thanks very much for your replacement!

mtn.debug was empty..

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

A minor update....

Nothing has changed in relation to thumbnailing.... but hopefully better error handling.

I have also tweaked the "debug" setting - You can either use a "mtn.debug" flag file, or you can create the following reg key:

HKLM\Software\MTN\debug

Create it as a String and set it to 1

To make everyones life easy, I have included two reg files within the Zip file - these will turn on/off debug (simply double click on either one)

With debug enabled, MTN will create a "mtn_replacement.log" log file in the mtn.exe directory.

Many thanks,

J.

Attachments

• MTN_Replacement.zip
      7.6 MB
    Last edited:

Lichloathe

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2007
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I have just tried this and with 88 recordings I can happily say I now have 100% thumbnails, where before I was lucky to get 50%.
    I don't see any issues with interlacing and the success rate for grabbing non advertising segments (I pre-record 3mins) seems to have lucked out at about 95% so Great Job!!

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I am also going to have a look at this. Even though I am one of the lucky guys who always had thumbs generated. ;)

@Jay_UK I think it would be best to keep the first post updated with the latest version. otherwise it is hard to search the entire thread (which will surely grow fast ;) ) all the time to find the latest version.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I would be happy to create a thread in our Area51 section about this + mention the work of @kiwijunglist to get more testing.
    Are you okay with this @Jay_UK?
    Even though I can understand your intention, Area51 is meant only for our developers to get their code tested. For patches from the community there is a special forum.
    But I am already pushing this threads code in the team internal section. Maybe deda has time to look into it.

I'd really like to have sure a reliability upgrade for the thumbailer in the next release. :)

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I think there should be a discussion about whose job it is to create thumbnails for tv recordings, I think there are several advantages in moving the responsibility to the tvserver. EPG's are having more meta data (season + episode tags etc,,) and can even contain images, also the DVB-T MHEG-5 stream can contain images/posters etc.. I think it makes sense that the tv server makes the thumbnail, it would also allow future upgrades utilizing all this data. In the future tvserver may do uPNP/DLNA sharing so in this regard it also makes sense for the tvserver to be doing the thumbnailing.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I think there should be a discussion about whose job it is to create thumbnails for tv recordings, I think there are several advantages in moving the responsibility to the tvserver.
    Without a doubt! This might even be introduced in 1.4.0, depending on the progress that our developers make with their current projects. :)

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

I'm glad its working for people. (y)

Agree, the TVServer should manage thumbnail generation for recorded content. I can see why the client does it now (to handle videos/non-recorded content).

I am happy to go along with the concensus (or what the Devs stipulate) lol

I think its time to brush up on my coding skills...and move to C# ;)

First post updated with the latest version :)

J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom