ReplayGain working correctly? (1 Viewer)

Kucheek

Portal Member
December 18, 2008
Prague
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
Hi, my replay gain is working fine in album mode which is great, except for one little annoyance in the moment when I'm playing an album and the tracks change. There is a very short point (like half a sec) in the playback when the replay gain for the new track is probably not applied yet and the volume is reverted to original (escalated) level. It can be clearly heard especially on the albums where the volume has to be taken down a lot. It can be disturbing sometimes and it spoils the user experience - on each track change there is a short volume peek.

Symphy, is there anything that can be done about it? I was thinking about this approach:

When album mode is enabled, at the end of each track the volume would be kept unchanged with the value read from the track that was just played. Only after replaygain value from new track is obtained, the volume would update.

This replaygain "overlap" would avoid those peeks, but I'm not sure if the player design allows it, e.g. it may be necessary to disable and enable replay gain at each track change.

Anyway, thank you for a great plugin!

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi, my replay gain is working fine in album mode which is great, except for one little annoyance in the moment when I'm playing an album and the tracks change. There is a very short point (like half a sec) in the playback when the replay gain for the new track is probably not applied yet and the volume is reverted to original (escalated) level. It can be clearly heard especially on the albums where the volume has to be taken down a lot. It can be disturbing sometimes and it spoils the user experience - on each track change there is a short volume peek.

Symphy, is there anything that can be done about it? I was thinking about this approach:

When album mode is enabled, at the end of each track the volume would be kept unchanged with the value read from the track that was just played. Only after replaygain value from new track is obtained, the volume would update.

This replaygain "overlap" would avoid those peeks, but I'm not sure if the player design allows it, e.g. it may be necessary to disable and enable replay gain at each track change.

Anyway, thank you for a great plugin!

Sounds like a bug to me. There should not be any peeks like that. I will check it out and try to fix this.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Sounds like a bug to me. There should not be any peeks like that. I will check it out and try to fix this.
    Have you had chance to a look at this?

I have a debug level log attached from the other day. I think this is probaby what I was reporting originally.

It is just that sometimes there is a noticable change in volume on track change when listening to the same album.

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Have you had chance to a look at this?

I have a debug level log attached from the other day. I think this is probaby what I was reporting originally.

It is just that sometimes there is a noticable change in volume on track change when listening to the same album.

It's on top of my todo list :) Last weekend i lost myself in working on the "next generation" of this plugin, and forgot about this...

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It's on top of my todo list :) Last weekend i lost myself in working on the "next generation" of this plugin, and forgot about this...

No worries, only remembered myself when it happened a few days ago and realised I had still not given you logs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom