Request for IT section on logo database (1 Viewer)

Alberto83

Portal Pro
August 7, 2012
Home Country
Italy Italy
I would like to contribute to the logo database with the logos I used in the past for my Mediaportal 1 installation.
While i started at first to suggest new logos and aliases after registering, i noticed most of italian channels comes with the CH region instead of IT, and that there's no IT section on the database.

Before submitting new logos and make mistakes, i'd like to know if it's possible to add an italian section and add those logos there: when i tried to add a new channel RAI 1 HD for the Italian region, it returned a Channel already exists error, and i had to submit the change request for the CH region instead.
Is it by design?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Helko Alberto,

Actually the same logo is only required once. Therefore it isn’t necessary to upload the same Logo for each country.

However, the current situation is not 100% ok. I am still experimenting a little bit. Not sure yet how to best organize things.

Alberto83

Portal Pro
    August 7, 2012
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    ah, so it does not check the database of the "current region" set on windows yet like said on the channel logo wiki?

As far as i know, logo channels should be the same everywhere, at least for Italian ones, so maybe a single list *could* be enough.
    Anyways, can i submit changes and aliases even if channels are on other countries for now? I have many of them with higher quality, and some new ones.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    so it does not check the database of the "current region" set on windows yet like said on the channel logo wiki?
    The way it works is:
    1. First search for the respective Alias, e.g. RAI 1. If only one hit is found, then the corresponding logo is directly returned, regardless of what country it is associated with.
    2. If there is more than one hit for the same alias, the region code is checked.
    Because of that it might actually be more efficient to not deal with individual countries but upload such logos to one generic region, e.g. EU for Europe. It would still require that we keep an eye on things though.

I have many of them with higher quality
    MP2 channel logos should have an approx dimension of 3:1, therefore your old MP1 logos are not ideal. Quality is not that much important in light of the relatively small size on the screen, unless they look really pixelated. But you are of course welcome to propose better ones if you like. I will then have a look.

and some new ones
    Sure - add them to the DE group for the time being.

Last edited:

Alberto83

Portal Pro
    August 7, 2012
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    MP2 channel logos should have an approx dimension of 3:1, therefore your old MP1 logos are not ideal. Quality is not that much important in light of the relatively small size on the screen, unless they look really pixelated. But you are of course welcome to propose better ones if you like. I will then have a look.
    Sorry, by better quality I was referring mostly to updated. they're usually 200xsomething depending from the style and very light in size.
    I've posted some new and one or two updates, i'll let you see if it is ok. if some of them are really wrong, can you reply me here why? I could resize/crop/modify them accordingly.

Sure - add them to the DE group for the time being.
    Will do. Thanks! :)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I will probably a central MP2 logo thread for logo and aliases requests. In there explanations and feeback to logo suggesitons can be provided.

My main point is that the logo repository needs to be cleaned up so that every channel is only referenced with one single logo and deviating channel names are then added as aliases. The one thing that may confuse users though is that these logos may reside in a different region from what said user is in. As discussed this has no impact on MP2 pulling the logo.

You can see from the CH group with its big number of entries that this is a lot of work to do. So the idea would be to maintain European logos only in the DE group and remove all other occurences in other regions for the same channels.

Problems would then occur if the supervising administrator accepts a new logo of an already existing channel for another country. For example you could easily propose a new logo for IT. If you like, create a new channel with some funny name (e.g. "LogoTest"), select "Italy" as country and submit. I can then accept and you will see this new channel appear under IT.

Last edited:

Alberto83

Portal Pro
    August 7, 2012
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Problems would then occur if the supervising administrator accepts a new logo of an already existing channel for another country. For example you could easily propose a new logo for IT. If you like, create a new channel with some funny name (e.g. "LogoTest"), select "Italy" as country and submit. I can then accept and you will see this new channel appear under IT.
    I think I got how it works. I think the main problem is with DVB-T. Everyone in Europe is able to receive satellite transmission and logo channels there are the same across the whole continent, however few can receive DVB-T transmission from another country (maybe only some living on the borders). I don't know if mediaportal can make a distinction between DVB-T and DVB-C and query the database accordingly. That would probably simplify the process. A single EU section for satellite logos and distinct country sections for DVB-T broadcasts. Those in CH having Italian channel logos are probably using SAT tuners, after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom