[REQUEST] Support for tv card with realtek chip and DAB radio (1 Viewer)

wonkyd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Apparently most if not all of the DVB-T/DAB/DAB+ devices are based on the RealTek RTL2832U chip. There is an SDK available from RealTek

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi everyone

It seems that the SDK is private. I have emailed Realtek and requested a copy, however I'm not sure whether I will hear anything back - my experience with contacting large Taiwanese manufacturers has been hit and miss. I will hold off purchasing any hardware until I get a response. House mortgage means I *really* can't afford to spend 35 pounds (+ shipping to NZ) for anything unless I know that I'm going to be able to do something with it.

I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything...

mm
    :)

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    The response I got from Danish company who rebrand these was along the lines of "just use the included software" thus bypassing all the questions I actually asked...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The response I got from Danish company who rebrand these was along the lines of "just use the included software" thus bypassing all the questions I actually asked...

Typical! :rolleyes:
    I'll ask DigitalNow, but to be honest I think they will just refer me to Realtek - after all it is Realtek's IP.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi everyone

A quick update: I am in contact with both DigitalNow and Realtek. :)

mm

PS: Please don't send any emails to Realtek as it may confuse them.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Another update: I am very happy to report that I now have the SDK! :D
    My thanks to Realtek for providing the SDK and agreeing to allow us to do an open source integration. That means we have as much flexibility as possible to develop support in a way that is going to fit nicely within the existing code. I have to say that on first read the SDK looks quite complex. This is *not* going to be an overnight job! The next step is obviously to acquire a device. I think the cheapest and best option for me is probably the $60 AUD DigitalNow Dabby device. Yes, it costs slightly more than the Sandberg when you work out the exchange rates, but when you consider shipping to NZ I think it will turn out pretty similar. Any objections or further suggestions?

One last question for you all: how many of you receive DAB, and how many receive DAB+?

wonkyd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Another update: I am very happy to report that I now have the SDK! :D
    My thanks to Realtek for providing the SDK and agreeing to allow us to do an open source integration. That means we have as much flexibility as possible to develop support in a way that is going to fit nicely within the existing code. I have to say that on first read the SDK looks quite complex. This is *not* going to be an overnight job! The next step is obviously to acquire a device. I think the cheapest and best option for me is probably the $60 AUD DigitalNow Dabby device. Yes, it costs slightly more than the Sandberg when you work out the exchange rates, but when you consider shipping to NZ I think it will turn out pretty similar. Any objections or further suggestions?

One last question for you all: how many of you receive DAB, and how many receive DAB+?

In the UK it is just DAB as far as I know.

rmeredit

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 10, 2007
    Melbourne
    Home Country

This might give you some idea: http://www.worlddab.org/rsc_brochure/lowres/12/rsc_brochure_lowres_20100910.pdf

DAB seems to cover most of Europe. Aus/NZ and a few places in Europe like Germany look to be either using or moving to DAB+. Given the sizable German userbase of MP, and the Aussies/Kiwis here, DAB+ support seems like the goer, but there's a sizable UK (ie. DAB) contingent here too. The US is irrelevant by the looks of it - digital radio doesn't seem to be there at all.

Interestingly, China is trialling DAB+ and India is trialling DAB - lots of potential users either way, but not sure how many in terms of MP's userbase.

Cheers,

Rob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom