[REQUEST] Support for tv card with realtek chip and DAB radio (1 Viewer)

sdf

Portal Pro
September 29, 2006
Home Country
Italy Italy
Given that 99% of USB FM tuners are using RTL2832U that remains, even in 2016, a problem for Mediaportal.
Yes, it's right.
But no one made a bridge realtek api/directshow filters.
So it's not only a MP problem, but also a ProdDvb, DvbViewer, etc. problem.
There's no software, apart from that which use direct calls to the api, that can make full use of our rtl2832.
And that software cannot transmit on LAN.
Even under linux situation is even worse, because there's no dab support at all and fm (rtlsdr) has to be switched at boot time, because uses a different kernel module.
I agree that rtl2832 is so cheap and common that it would be a great step forward for MP, but, as mm1352000 said, it involves some serious (and very difficult) programming.
I do believe in what mm1352000 says, and even if you don't believe him, why nobody made this 'til now, if it was so simple?
Bye,
sdf

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It took a lot of work (months and months!), but I added RTL283x FM radio support for TVE 3.5. Still no DAB or DAB+ support because I don't have access to any transmission.

propergol

Portal Member
    November 14, 2015
    near Cognac
    Home Country
    France France
    I must trust programmers since my programming skill is 20 years old, using Turbo Pascal o_O ....

Maybe there could be a solution using Mediaportal server with VLC.
    -make VLC convert and stream the FM captured on the tuner
    -use this stream in Mediaportal server RadioWebStream

For now I have successfully opened DVB-T TV channel in VLC, but I don't know how to open FM :(
    --- Post updated ---
    It took a lot of work (months and months!), but I added RTL283x FM radio support for TVE 3.5. Still no DAB or DAB+ support because I don't have access to any transmission.

oh! I did post my previous message before seen your reply.

Is it supposed to be included in the actual Mediaportal 1.5 or 2?

sdf

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    This is wonderful! Good job mm1352000!
    Here in Italy we have dab/dab+ so if you want test something on my machine (remotely via rdp or vnc), tell me.
    Thank you,
    sdf

tvlada

October 21, 2016
    Home Country
    Romania Romania
    Hi mm1352000. I was able to setup my own local DAB/DAB+ transmission using an HackRF board. It works perfectly inside the house.
    How can I help you with DAB support ?
    Can I get involved in the coding ? Is the source code for TVE 3.5 with support for RTL available ?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello tvlada

I was able to setup my own local DAB/DAB+ transmission using an HackRF board. It works perfectly inside the house.
    Nice. :)

How can I help you with DAB support ?
    I'm not working on DAB support, therefore you would be leading the way and can make your own plan. I'm happy to help you by answering questions where possible. However please don't expect me to work directly on code. I have other higher priorities right now. Also please keep in mind that I don't have access to any DAB signals.

Can I get involved in the coding ?
    As a prerequisite you will need:
    1. A DAB tuner based on an RTL283* chipset.
    2. Access to the Realtek SDK.
    Do you have those?
    If no, you need to get them first.
    If yes, you can start coding whenever you like. :)

Is the source code for TVE 3.5 with support for RTL available ?
    Yes, of course.

My latest RTL code is here:
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi...ibrary/Implementations/DirectShow/Wdm/Rtl283x

Unfortunately that branch won't be buildable, but you can still take the code and work on it.

sdf

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Come on guys! Wonderful. I can't programme, but surely can test everything.
    Thank you,
    sdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom