[REQUEST] Support for tv card with realtek chip and DAB radio (1 Viewer)

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just to set expectations...
    Nearly all the TV code is based around BDA drivers which provide a standard interface for everything.

AIUI this is a single chip (realtek DAB) and that does not use standard BDA drivers.

This means it might not even be possible to include without massive effort. I believe the development of a new TV server is looking to implement hardware as plugins so it is more likely this would be included in the next TV server

sdf

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    A revamp of this old post.
    Recently I discovered all the dab/dab+/fm stuff of rtl2832u.
    I have an MSI Digivox who had at first af915 chipset, but the latest batch has rtl2832u.
    The dongle exposes only dvb-t, but has dab and fm capabilities like any other 2832u dongle.
    Playing with drivers from several manufactirers,I've discovered that some drivers expose two more directshow filters, realtek_DTV_DAB and realtek_DTV_FM.
    So I think that is only a matter of connecting this directshow filters and playing a graph.
    I'm asking to developers if there's something to try and test.
    Thank you,
    sdf

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Playing with drivers from several manufactirers,I've discovered that some drivers expose two more directshow filters, realtek_DTV_DAB and realtek_DTV_FM.
    So I think that is only a matter of connecting this directshow filters and playing a graph.
    Please read my posts on page 4.
    The "roadblock" that I mentioned is that it was not possible for the filters to be inserted into a graph created by TV Server. Quite a big problem, wouldn't you say? ;)
    Further, the control of the filters for tuning, scanning etc. requires use of custom APIs (Realtek DAB/DAB+ and FM don't use BDA interfaces).
    Finally, FM requires software encoders and DAB requires a TS muxer to convert the streams produced by the driver into transport streams that TV Server can handle.
    It is not straightforward to add support.

I'm asking to developers if there's something to try and test.
    There is nothing to test.

sdf

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hi mm1352000,
    hope you are fine (remember you made a patch for speedup fmradio for software analog encoder - quite a few years ago).
    You've been very clear.
    Thank you,
    sdf

rkooten

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2008
    Home Country
    I cannot say I fully understand the technicalities and this may be way of the mark and not address the issues faced when trying to add DAB+ support to MP...

Just wanted to let you know that I found this DAB/DAB+ dongle with BDA driver download: http://www.terratec.net/en/products/driver/produkte_treiber_en_150683.html

Considering the BDA interface is so important I figured I would flag this. Not sure if this is useful at all. :p

Pengo429

April 11, 2009
    Home Country
    I'm sorry to bring this up again, but if I can run the TV service, make it idle, then run a DAB Player, all using the same 2832u DABStick without changing any drivers, why can't DAB be integrated into MP?

Attachments

• MPDAB.wmv
      8.2 MB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @Pengo429
    DAB support for Realtek RTL2832U-based tuners can be integrated into MediaPortal. It is just really really difficult. Some of the reasons it is difficult have been explained in my previous post. I suppose if you're not a developer (or even if you are a developer, but you're not familiar with COM, DirectShow, MPEG 2 transport streams and multiplexing) then you won't understand the reasons. In that case you'll have to decide whether to trust me or not, I suppose. Honestly, what reason would I have to lie? I have an RTL2832U-based tuner myself. Don't you think I'd want to make it fully work if I could? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom