Requiered Ports for Server Connection (6 Viewers)

crytec

Portal Member
April 18, 2012
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,

I managed to get MediaPortal 2 to connect to a specific IP I put into the MediaPortal.UI.ServerCommunication.Settings.ServerConnectionSettings.xml
file. (thats the case when MediaPortal cant find the server by itself and there is no GUI to do that I think)
Now I wanted to do the same other the internet, so I need to know which ports I have to open in my router to get a connection. I tried to wireshark the connection process, but there are many ports and I only want to open the ports that are necessary.

Can someone help me? :)

EDIT: Ok the ports seem to be 3389,3461 and 3454 (all TCP) on the MP2 Server.
If I block these ports locally, MP2 Client gets no connection to MP2 Server.
When I open the ports locally again, it works fine.
But if I try to do this over WWW, it is not working. In the log files there is no attempt or anything that shows that MP2 Client is trying to connect to MP2 Server. Also no packets that show any attempt in wireshark.
All the ports I saw in wireshark are opened in router and windows firewall.

Any idea? :)

Last edited:

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MP2 uses dynamic ports for UPnP and HTTP communication (see logfiles, IP and port number is logged!). So there is no explicit port list.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    My guess is that getting SSDP to work over the internet would be quite difficult unless using a VPN, so the MP client can't discover the server.

MrTechno

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2011
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    As mm and Morpheus said the way MP2 clients and server talk to each other doesn't work over a WAN:

"SSDP is the basis of the discovery protocol of Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) and is intended for use in residential or small office environments"

- from http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Service_Discovery_Protocol

If you want to access your media over the web the only immediate MP2 solution is to use a VPN.

crytec

Portal Member
    April 18, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I hoped for a simple solution, VPN is not really what I wanted :/
    It would be so nice to have an easy solution to talk to an MP Server which you can also share with others over WAN or use just from anywhere you want.
    Is any feature like that planned at a later point?

And yes I know about MP1 and MPExtended, but thats not working as I would expect it. :)

crytec

Portal Member
    April 18, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Like the local network solution of MP2.
    As far as I know, the only way to integrate an MPExtended Database of Series/Movies into MP1 is OnlineVideos?
    And then there is a lot of the nice GUI missing, like descriptions.
    Also DTS and Dolby are missing because there is only flash.

If there is another way that has all the functions of a local database, please tell me :)

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

If you are adamant you don't want to run a VPN, and depending if you want live TV support, then I would suggest you look at an alternate product like XBMC or Mediabrowser (which I run with Mediaportal)

Thanks,

J.

ps - VPN's were designed for securely extending the LAN over the WAN and untrusted networks.

crytec

Portal Member
    April 18, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I want to use TV, but only local, I have no good experience in streaming Live TV over WAN.
    I know XBMC / Kodi, I looked into it multiple times but the lack of TV support keeps me from using it. I know you can use TV Servers from MP and others, but its not as good as all-in-one MP :)
    Havent heard of Mediabrowser so far I think. I will look into it :)

Plopeye

Portal Member
    October 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I can understand the choice to use SSDP but I will run in to 2 issues:

I have a routed network with multiple subnets, broadcast isn't routed.
    Using a routed VPN solution (OpenVPN) and here also broadcast isn't routed.

So will there be a solution to get it running without SSDP or should I look into a Mediaportal replacement?

By the way, I have some real good experiance with live tv over VPN. No problem to watch Dutch HD channels when I'm in Germany for work...
    I have to say that I have a decent and stable connection with sufficient upstream to support the HD stream. The hotel were we sleep has a very good fibre connection, and I'm using the RJ45 outlet in my room when watching TV.

The greatest problem is watching TV over WIFI, even when at home doesn't run very well...

The fact that Mediaportal didn't depend on protocols as UPnP/SSDP DLNA and other broken by design protocols was a BIG plus, I'm very sad to read that it's leaving that path...

Dynamic ports will also make QoS in my managed switch more dificult then needed...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom