Resuming from standby causes MP to hang/crash (1 Viewer)

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
I started a similar thread to this in 1.2RC bugreport forum but im still getting it with the final release....

When resuming from standby/hibernation, MP client will freeze/crash (either frozen screen or windows popup saying that MP has closed due to an error). This will happen regardless of whether the system has woken via powerscheduler for a recording, or whether its a manual wake up from standby. It wont happen every single time, maybe half of the time, but its definately making using standby impossible for me.

To replicate

Put MP into standby either manually in home screen, or via powerscheduler by leaving the system idle for the alloted time set in client/tvserver config. When resuming MP (either by pressing case power button or pressing power button on MCE remote) the MP screen will either be frozen or crashed.

After looking at my logs i noticed in error.log that MP failed to recall the last active module after waking from standby. Perhaps this is the cause?

HTML:
2011-09-14 07:16:43.725585 [ERROR][MPMain(1)]: Error recalling last active module - invalid module name '-1'

My power settings

MP config - Suspend after 5 minutes
TVserver config - Suspend after 7 minutes
Win7 power settings - Never sleep, Never hibernate

My MP setup

Singleseat setup on my main PC, plus 1 client laptop which connects to the main PC (and TVserver) over wireless LAN.

Many thanks in advance, this is the last piece in an otherwise flawless setup :)

MediaPortal Version: MP1.2final
MediaPortal Skin: Avalon
Windows Version: Win7 + SP1
CPU Type: AMD AM2 X2 4600+
HDD: 2 x Samsung F1 2Tb
Memory: Corsair 4Gb
Motherboard: Gigabyte nForce 430 Micro ATX
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4670
Sound Card: On board 7.1
1. TV Card: Hauppauge Nova-T500
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
h.264 Video Codec: DivX7
HTPC Case: Antec Fusion
Cooling: Scythe Mini Ninja
Power Supply: Antec 430W
Remote: MCE
TV: Samsung 42" Plasma
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI -> HDMI

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

Can you turn and turn off hybrid sleep/standby in windows. See if that fixes it?

Cheers

J.

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    According to your system logs, last MP crash was on 13/9/2011 7:17, but MP logs start on 14/9/2011 7:13 (one day later) so there is nothing there to see.

Also the last suspend was on 14/9/2011 6:20 and resumed on 14/9/2011 7:12, so we do not even know what happened before the suspend.

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Try to disable this setting but somehow I doubt that it will help

attachment.php

Attachments

• ScreenShot002.jpg
      ScreenShot002.jpg
      76.8 KB

larsbln

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 12, 2010
    Germany
    AW: Resuming from standby causes MP to hang/crash

If that happens I reinstall mp completly but I did not find a solution :(

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    Thanks for the comments. Ive still got this issue, but im now convinced that it is a system issue rather than an MP one (i think its either win7 itself or a graphics card driver). See my new thread here:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...one-standby-hibernation-problems-win7-100945/

According to your system logs, last MP crash was on 13/9/2011 7:17, but MP logs start on 14/9/2011 7:13 (one day later) so there is nothing there to see.

Also the last suspend was on 14/9/2011 6:20 and resumed on 14/9/2011 7:12, so we do not even know what happened before the suspend.

I put MP into suspend in the evening on 13th and set something to record (hoping that MP would wake, record and go back to sleep). When i got up in the morning however, MP had crashed.

Can i just confirm.. is everyone else having successful suspend/waking behaviour under win7?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Can i just confirm.. is everyone else having successful suspend/waking behaviour under win7?

Yes works fine for me, but then my power settings are set for max performance, just to cut down on any possible delay with devices.

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Works fine in my Win7 x64 too.

gtfreymann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I have a Win7 system in our living-room that doesn't return from sleep mode properly. We hit the power off button on our Logitech remote and that shuts off the TV, Stereo and Computer.

When we come back, the power on sequence for our "Watch TV" activity turns on the TV and Stereo, but we have to manually press the power button on the computer to get it back.

Everything comes back to life, and we can use MP just fine for everything but LiveTV. If we go into LiveTV usually the screen goes back to the normal desktop and we see the MP icon minimized on the taskbar. From here we usually get nothing (no sound, no picture) and have to call up task manager and kill it, and then restart MP. Sometimes we get a flash of a picture and a bit of audio and it will go back to the MP screen, but this cycle will repeat and you have to exit MP and then simply reload and you're fine.

It was doing this with the 1.2Beta (this is where I started with MP). I figured I would wait for the Release to see if that went away but it hasn't.

It only happens on one of 3 main clients. Our Zotac MAG HD-ND01's work fine. They go to sleep and the remote will wake them up. But this box -- no luck.

This box used to be our HTPC server which ran 24/7. Now it's being used a client. I believe it's an issue with the computer hardware more than MP.

Motherboard: GeForce6100SM-M2
    CPU: AMD 4600 Dual Core
    RAM: 4 GB
    Video: PCIe EVGA 7200
    500GB Sata HD
    onboard Network
    SP/DIF header for digital audio out to Stereo

When I went into Device Manage to look at the Power Management options the only one I found was on the Network so I unchecked it so Windows doesn't power it off.

I'll check after lunch to see if that made any change.

I also went into MP Setup > General > Startup/Resume Settings and checked "Show last active module when starting/resuming from stand-by" in hopes I can provide some log info.

I will likely end up replacing this box with another Zotac MAG if this problem persists. It's not helping much with the WAF. But on the other hand I'd like to continue using this client as who wants to go spend more money if you don't have to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom