RGB Scart output from a pc (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Just to inform you that I have superb results using a Trust Televiewer v1 with RGB scart output when connecting to a TV.

Watch the version of the televiewer because the V2 does no longer support RGB scart.

The quality improvement was very great for the TV I have tried now at work.
I'll give you more info when I have tried it at home on the HTPC.

IceFred

PS1: There is no use for buying this Televiewer if you are not using its RGB Scart feature because nowadays most VGA cards have decent s-video output.
PS2: There exsist alternatives where you build a direct VGA to RGB scart cable but those alternatices risk blowing up the circuits on your TV. So watch out when you play with them.

A

Anonymous

Hi IceFred, how did you find this product performed on your HTPC?

I have been looking everywhere for something like this for the HTPC I am going to build as I am concerned about the quality of picture you get from the S-Video outputs available on graphics cards.

Have you been able to compare the TeleViewer's RGB output to the S-Video outputs of graphics cards?

snorre

Portal Member
April 23, 2004
A related tip is to make your own VGA -> RGB SCART cable, instructions are available at http://www.idiots.org.uk/vga_rgb_scart/.

I'm using this method myself and I'm extremely happy with the picture quality, the text and edges of graphics are so much sharper than when I was using the TV-out on my Radeon 9200.

A

Anonymous

hmm, I tried this guide and made a cable, which actually worked, but I couldn't get a perfect still picture. The upper part kept moving every few seconds. Setting up the right settings with Power Strip was a pain in the neck. I tried for several hours.
I could still check the quality, but I wasn't too impressed. The picture was clearer and had better colordepth, but if watching widescreen on my 4:3 TV the borders of the picture were flickering pretty badly, which enoid me more than benefitting from the enhanced picture quality. I have a Radeon 9000.
I wonder what PS settings you guys used to get a good quality?
Did you actually use the Voltage part? I did, but couldn't switch back to normal TV Viewing while the HTPC was on. Mine worked also without the voltage. I soldered a battery between the cable.

Now I'm back using the old S-Video Cable.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

sounds interesting. But i just read in the manual of the televiewer that only resolutions of 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768 are supported. What about native PAL resolution (720x576)? Does it also work? Could you maybe test the PAl resolution with the televiewer?

-alibert

A

Anonymous

I made a cable over the weekend as I thought it could be a cheap alternative to the Televiewer but could not get a good image with the settings the web site suggested. It seemed as though the picture was being tiled across the screen :? Has anybody got this working with a widescreen TV?

Does any body know a UK supplier of the Televiewer that will let me return it if I am not happy with the picture quality? I want the picture quality of my HTPC to be as good as my current DVD player so would like to test it out first.

A

Anonymous

I eventually stopped the image from tiling across the screen. I found a second description of how to put this cable together at http://ryoandr.free.fr/english.html which describes the exact problem (and its solution) in the Power Strip set-up section.

Now I have just got to work out why the picture is being clipped on all sides :x

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi all,

currently there is no new MP version, so i had the time to do some hardware experiments. :)

I tried the guide tups posted for my ATi Radeon 8500 from HIS. And it works! The picture quality is great! :shock: :eek: :D Nearly as good as the one from the Hauppauge PVR 350 TV out. Great colours, blackvalues and contrast.

The biggest problem really is to find out the right settings for Powerstrip :?. Those PAL settings mentioned on the page did not work at all. So i searched the forum of PS, there are many settings, but none did work. Then i found out that there are already some presets in PS. Finally the settings for PAL 1024x576 did work! I then just made a new setting with the desired resolution of 720x576 and this also worked. I now have a nice picture. :)

I now "only" search settings for 800x600 (gaming) and 768x576 (real PAL 4:3). No luck, yet. Finding out the right settings is really frustrating.... :(

Here the settings that work for me:

PAL 720x576@25Hz (i really have an old TV :)) tiling off
    PowerStrip timing parameters:
    720x576=720,62,48,138,576,25,5,35,15125,41

Generic timing details for 720x576:
    HFP=62 HSW=48 HBP=138 kHz=16 VFP=25 VSW=5 VBP=35 Hz=24

Linux modeline parameters:
    "720x576" 15,125 720 782 830 968 576 601 606 641 interlace +hsync +vsync

PAL 1024x576@25Hz tiling on
    PowerStrip timing parameters:
    1024x576=1024,64,48,136,576,5,5,39,19875,41

Generic timing details for 1024x576:
    HFP=64 HSW=48 HBP=136 kHz=16 VFP=5 VSW=5 VBP=39 Hz=25

Linux modeline parameters:
    "1024x576" 19,875 1024 1088 1136 1272 576 581 586 625 interlace +hsync +vsync

If i find other working settings, i will post them here. For now i am really satisfied with the results i got. :)

Flip.

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm looking at a HD Sony widescreen CRT (HX32) that has RGB input via RCA plugs rather than SCART, is this DIY cable going to work?

I have no idea how to make one to terminate in 3 RCA plugs, I visited a HiFi store today that said they didn't know of anything that existed off the shelf (VGA/DVI to RGB/Component), but could probably make one up for me.

Ideas? I just don't want to blow anything up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom