RM-518 Remote aka X-gene, nMedia, Adesso, etc. (2 Viewers)

swift11

Portal Member
June 28, 2009
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
I bought this great remote a few weeks ago:
Product-20083511437-l.jpg

But except for the trackball and mouseclicks, it didn't work with MediaPortal,
so I asked the manufacturer (Focus Electronics) to write an EventGhost plugin.

Control Your HTPC With EventGhost

FYI the RM-518 remote is this one:
RF Remote Controller with Optical Trackball(RM-518) - Focus Electronic Co., Ltd.

It is often sold with a keyboard:
http://www.nmediapc.com/RFKB3.htm

Alucard

July 18, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Try using the Generic HID plugin for now. Not all buttons show up but most of them do. It shows 3 devices, I use both the midle and lower one. Set to Raw data.

Alucard

Add keyboard plugin for the rest of the buttons(number keys, ok button etc)
changing them also changes the behaviour of your regular keyboard!

Alucard

swift11

Portal Member
June 28, 2009
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Thanks for the info ! :)

Especially since we probably won't have an EventGhost plugin, at least for now ...

NB: the number keys, Num Lock, Clear and Enter work fine in Notepad, so the keyboard plugin doesn't seem necessary to me

t0xin

April 18, 2010
Any news on this remote?

Here are the keys I got EventGhost to recognize using Alucard's advice:
  • HID.0546
  • HID.0525
  • HID.0547
  • HID.0548
  • HID.0549
  • HID.038D00
  • HID.0524
  • HID.054A
  • HID.03E900
  • HID.03EA00
  • HID.030902
  • HID.03B700
  • HID.03CD00
  • HID.03B300
  • HID.03B400
  • HID.03B500
  • HID.03E200

Anything else I can do? Perhaps another program I can try ? (HIP couldn't work with the device at all...)

Thanks!

BTW the links above are mostly dead, you can check out the remote here:
Newegg.com - X-Gene 01034 Black 2.4 GHz Wireless MCE Remote Control w/ Optical Trackball

hoverdonkey

Portal Member
October 19, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I got this trackball remote working via Event Ghost to MP v1.2 in Windows 7. I am happy to tell how, if anyone is interested.

erdooom

January 14, 2012
Hi,

I would very much like to hear how you set it up, as i'm trying to do exactly that, get the stop pause record and so forth keys to work in media portal in my keyboard x-gene 1030

hoverdonkey

Portal Member
October 19, 2008
Home Country
Great, glad I can help someone else after slogging through to a solution.

In a nutshell, I got all the remote buttons working using EvenGhost (an open-source remote utility) using its built-in "Keyboard", "Generic HID" and "MediaPortal" plugins. The latter requires the "Message Plugin" plugin be installed in MP for it to work.

So, you need to download & install;
  1. EventGhost
  2. Message Plugin for MediaPortal

In EventGhost, add the "Keyboard" plugin and three instances of the "Generic HID" plugin. When you go the config of the HID plugin you will see why - our remote appears multiple times (shown as "HOLTEK"). All instances of the device in this list have identical descriptions, so I entered "a" in the event prefix for the top one, and "b" for the second line and "c" for the third to see what was going on. Once you have started all the input plugins, start mashing away on the remote and you should see that all button presses give a response (in the left-hand pane of EventGhost screen). NB I disabled Windows Media Centre in Windows 7 Control Panel as some buttons will start it.

Now add the "MediaPortal" plugin in EventGhost. You need to map all the button presses to the relevant MP action (press the button, then drag and drop it from left hand pane onto the MediaPortal action). Make sure you have installed the "Message Plugin" plugin in MP or it won't work. Also, I disabled all aother remotes in MP Config.

I have attached my EventGhost config file - if you are lucky, this might work for you and save you having to map the buttons. Also attached is a pdf with the mappings etc listed, in case it helps.

Good luck!

View attachment oli.xml

View attachment Trackball Remote in EventGhost for MP.pdf

hoverdonkey

Portal Member
October 19, 2008
Home Country
PS I would add that this is the the Media Centre Trackball Remote that Maplin are currently selling in the UK - it says FSQ-RM518 on the back. This hadn't been mentioned previously in this thread, so I thought I would get it in now to help any future searchers looking to get the thing working in MP!

jimbo19

Portal Member
February 14, 2007
Home Country
Desperately want to get mine working as hoverdonkey , but unfortunately mine does not show as holtek in device manager - I only have generic hid agains all
Any ideas or links to the driver for this ?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom