SAF best FFDshow postprocessing setting (1 Viewer)

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
I'm kinda lost in the codec jungle. Do you apply postprocessing to all SD sources? LiveTV, SD-movies, DVD etc....?

Can you set up all SD-sources to be upscaled with one setting, or do you have to do it over again for each format, such as DivX, Xvid etc....? If so, which formats should be upscaled/postprocessed?

I've also heard that the benefits of upscaling LiveTV is minimal, is that correct? Is it possible to use a splitscreen to see the differences?

You still miss the point - FFDshow (and its postprocessing) is done only for non DXVA material, so not for MPEG2/h.264 TV/Local and not for DVD.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    i think you shouldnt call this thread 'post processing' it makes users confused and they think about post processing in mp videos config.
    shouldn't you just call it FFDShow upscaling settings?

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Before I start messing about with my codec, first some questions :)
    If FFDShow is not decoding MPEG2, X264, DVD (you mean vob files?) because of DXVA support, what does it decode?
    Because VC-1 and WMV for instance can both have hardware acc. ...
    Is FFDShow picking up on those formats or is this done by other codecs?
    And what about the codecs that FFDShow does decode, could you give a small list of common encoded formats that FFDShow does do (in a good working setup)?

dlthorpe

Portal Pro
    January 10, 2009
    I take it these settings are only actually used if the MP setting for "H.264 Video Decoder" on the "Video Player" codec selection is set to "ffdshow Video Decoder"?

I bought CoreAVC and use that decoder there instead. So if i want to see what these settings do (on your first post) then i need to change my setting and test it?

Thanks,
    D

magao

Portal Member
    December 22, 2008
    Home Country
    You can use both CoreAVC and FFDShow by using "automatic" settings (in MediaPortal) and configuring FFDShow to decode "raw" and not decode h.264.

Alternatively, you can configure FFDShow as a post-processor in MediaPortal.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    +1 i think post processing doesn't make it look any better for me, even though the post processing/upscaling dvd screenshots in some of the guides look better. I think this is because my GPU is already very good at scaling, therefore post processing makes minimal difference at the expensive of more cpu time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom