Codecs SAF v6 (based on LAVF) (4 Viewers)

TheBiGW

Portal Member
October 1, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I have a strange problem that has only just started. I have an Asrock ION 330 with latest mediaportal, drivers etc. Have always used SAF. Recently upgraded to 606. When I play back MKV movies (1080 or 720), sometimes the movies start, but then start to stutter and stall when playing. I stop them, and restart (stop, back to menu, play the movie) and they play fine. Media center is connected to my NAS using 1gb ethernet over 1gb switches. When I look at CPU utilisation during playback it's absolutely minimal. I'm using FFDShow DXVA decoder for video, and FFDShow for audio over TOSLink.

Any ideas?

TheBiGW

Portal Member
October 1, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Interesting - I did a quick speed test and instead of transferring data at the usual ~50mb/sec it was going at 9mb/sec! I rebooted all the switches in the house and it's now back up to 50mb/sec - which should be more than enough. Thanks!

FreeFrag

Portal Pro
May 7, 2008
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I am also using a NAS and have not problem with 606. My NAS delivers around 80-100Mb/s but 50Mb/s should be more than enough.

It's a strange one... it should not be any problem whereas using a NAS or a shared folder on another computer or a local file...

but it's a simple test to rule out if that's the problem!

Jebuson

December 14, 2011
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
I was hoping someone could help me. I have several MKV files that play fine in MPC-HC and VLC but in MediaPortal the screen just flashes black briefly and marks the TV episode as watched. I have set SAF up with the settings posted by Hoborg on the first page. The files are encoded as follows:

Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 1280x720 23.976fps [Video]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz stereo 384kbps [Audio]

I have several files that do this so any help or advice would be appreciated.

EDIT: Problem resolved. I disabled HDMI pass through during SAF install and did not install the FFDSHOW Audio codec. I can now play my files without issue. I have selected HDMI out as my default sound device which passes everything through to my AMP correctly.

mamachan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hi Hoborg,
    a curiosity: are you planning a new version 7 of SAF with the only LAVF package (without ffdshow video decoder)?

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Hi Hoborg,

I would very much appreciate a pure LAV Version as well. LAV together with the MS codecs has all I need now (at least as of tomorrow when dxva native version shall be released). The reason why I prefer SAF over pure LAV are mainly the tools included in SAF, which make it much more comfortable for me.

Keep up your great work!
    Michael

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Hi Hoborg,

I would very much appreciate a pure LAV Version as well. LAV together with the MS codecs has all I need now (at least as of tomorrow when dxva native version shall be released). The reason why I prefer SAF over pure LAV are mainly the tools included in SAF, which make it much more comfortable for me.

Keep up your great work!
    Michael

Well, such a thing alrerady exist as MePo plugin, there is no reason why to make a new one.
    You can install SAF and enable LAV Video decoder, it will have similar result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom