Codecs SAF v6 (based on LAVF) (3 Viewers)

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    LAVF is one or two codecs .. SAF6 is like 10+ codecs bundled together (which includes LAVF [video and audio codecs]

mylle

Portal Pro
    April 14, 2005
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    If there a way to update LAV filters inside SAF? LAV filter 50.5 is out and it has some enhancement I would like to try :)

andydixon

Portal Member
    July 11, 2005
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Hoborg,

My understanding is that it is quite normal for a video stream to have one aspect ratio and for the container to specify a different aspect ratio for it to be displayed at (eg anamorphic dvds). LAV video (and other decoders) have a setting which allows you to tell it whether to use the stream aspect ratio or the file container aspect ratio, but I can't find a setting like this in FFDShow. But these files have worked for me in the past in my older WinXP installation and they work on my current Windows 7 laptop, so i'm pretty sure there isn't a problem with the files. I'll investigate a bit further and try and find what's different between my laptop and my HTPC.

Thanks
    Andy

I think the file have something wrong, 540x570 is not 4:3. Maybe it is wrongly encoded?

msj33

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2005
    Home Country
    England England
    Please; LAVF vs SAF v6 - What's the difference, pros/cons?

I'm also very confused about this codec "mess" :-S

Now we have 3 codec options?!?

MEPO builtin(Microsoft Codec)
    SAF
    LAVF

What the difference/advantages/disadvantages?
    Problems running them together?
    Is there any performance difference?

Hopefully one day, codecs would work "Out-of-the box" when installing MEPO...............Just like XBMC.

Hate configuring codecs...............too many options:-P

P.S Still a applause for Hoborg, for easing the codec installation into 1 single package - but lets try to evolve - Keep it simple :0)

/Morten

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hopefully one day, codecs would work "Out-of-the box" when installing MEPO...............Just like XBMC.

I think MP 1.3.0 Alpha will come with LAV Filters. So you don't have to install any additional codec packs. LAVF will play (almost) everything. Still LAV Video Decoder, LAV Audio Decoder & LAV Splitter should be configured first. It is not that hard and should be done only once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom