Codecs SAF v6 (based on LAVF) (1 Viewer)

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
Please; LAVF vs SAF v6 - What's the difference, pros/cons?

I'm also very confused about this codec "mess" :-S

Now we have 3 codec options?!?

MEPO builtin(Microsoft Codec)
SAF
LAVF

What the difference/advantages/disadvantages?
Problems running them together?
Is there any performance difference?

Hopefully one day, codecs would work "Out-of-the box" when installing MEPO...............Just like XBMC.

Hate configuring codecs...............too many options:-P

P.S Still a applause for Hoborg, for easing the codec installation into 1 single package - but lets try to evolve - Keep it simple :0)

/Morten
Hi.
SAF is already simple as possible.
LAVF is the future, but there are still a lot of work util it will be final solution.

SAF is not only for MePo, it setup DirectShow on your PC to be able to play as much as possible with the best quality and as less as possible codecs installed. This will make you possible to play nearly anything just out of box player undepended.

Basically, there is no need to configure anything after SAF install on PC, just double click on video, it will play in MPC-HC using SAF setup.

msj33

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2005
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi.
    SAF is already simple as possible.
    LAVF is the future, but there are still a lot of work util it will be final solution.

SAF is not only for MePo, it setup DirectShow on your PC to be able to play as much as possible with the best quality and as less as possible codecs installed. This will make you possible to play nearly anything just out of box player undepended.

Basically, there is no need to configure anything after SAF install on PC, just double click on video, it will play in MPC-HC using SAF setup.

Yes, compared to other Codec packs its easy - But in overall Mepo ease-of-use, its just another "annoying" installation to make.

After installation, even configuration is needed, and most users even do not know how to do this - Therefore a Guide on first forum page.

Furthermore there are so many versions and now 3 different codec packs, that playback issues/Lag/pixelations bug reporting/fixing seems to being hard, hence users have a more and more different setups - especially when also taking drivers & graphics card into consideration.

I personally hope to see 3 features in the future.............(Maybe MP2?!?!)
    • Mediaportal has included codec pack that support all common Mediaportal format(Moving pictures, Videos, Online Videos & TV-series)
    • Mediaportal is AUTO configured - No need to setup any Codecs at al from start(but other codecs/Beta versions could be an optional advanced feature for testing purposes)
    • Mediaportal is AUTO updated on the codec part (LAVF has this already - But again - It has dependencies to MP Extensions plugin)
    Compared to XBMC, Mediaportal woud set a new standard for both high quality & low maintenace Video Playback on HTPC's

Demanding? - Maybe - But if we look at the time spend on installation, support, testing, bug fixing and general forums discussions, then it might make some sense - What if this time could be spend on making Mediaportal even better- We might even attract new users, donators or sponsors!

Just a thought for a beginning? :)

What about including autoconfiguration of Mediaportal when installing SAF6? (We all hate it :-P )

Keep up the great work - Very appreciated

/Morten

BrownGhost

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 15, 2008
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    It looks like MediaPortal Extension Installer, is updating the lavf filters, codex..
    I use SAF, im i superpose to disable that updating?

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Brownghost,

Yes - The LAV installations are separate/different between the MPEI and SAF.

You should use one or the other - and not both (ideally)

J.

BrownGhost

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 15, 2008
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    when i install saf, saf says it uninstalling the lav on my system..
    then i look in extentions installer, they are still there..
    Should i uninstall those in the extendion installer ?

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

If you decide to use SAF for your codecs, then yes uninstall LAV via MPEI (to "tidy" things up)

J.

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    For the time being (untill the issue is resolved).

Before you install SAF:
    - Make sure you uninstall the LAV from within the MPEI installer
    - Then install SAF.

If you do it through the SAF installer, the filter doesnt see the uninstalled LAV filter.
    Then it is possible to (still) update the LAV filter and criple SAF while doing that.

See this thread for my earlier mention of it to the Devs.. (lot of response...)

raskern

Portal Member
    September 6, 2011
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    So I went and let the SAF do the uninstall before the previous posts were up.
    I have not had a chance to try and fix it yet but I can't watch video as there is an issue with the codec as discussed previously.

Can any one offer a suggestion to simply correct the issue?
    My next course of action will be to try and reinstall SAF now I have uninstalled lav filters in mpi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom