Schedule Direct auto scan finds all channels classify as analog not digital cannot map (1 Viewer)

davidpmays

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    After the change with Schedules Direct I decided to delete everything and start over. When I scan my channels with my digital card it does not find all the channels. Fact is it finds all the channels but two and one is the one I watch most. I deleted all channels and set Schedules Direct to auto add new and set it to tuner. It finds all the channels but sets them up as analog and I cannot map them to my digital cards. My cable provider went all digital last year. Most of what I needed worked until the SD change. When I scan with my digital card I can map the channels but then I have to use MYSQL workbench to insert the Schedule Direct information. In the past I only fixed my favorites. It seems my choice is, see some tv or see the schedule. I must be missing something. I am uploading several sets of logs. "Setup Late 20141113" then "20141114 Starting All Over Again" and finally "Current" I hope someone can see my mistake.

Thanks in advance for anyone with ideas.

Attachments

• 20141114 Starting All Over Again at 8 34.zip
      48.6 KB
    • Current.zip
      8.2 KB
    • setup late 20141113TVService.1.zip
      147.5 KB

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    Not sure I really understand your problem. Could you give examples of 5 "bad" channels you don't want and the matching "good" channels you want. I use MePo with sd-plugin for antenna/ATSC so I don't know how this works for cable.

I added your zipcode, Longview type=CableDigital to my SD account, some channels have 2 options, for example

11 KYTX, and 240 KYTXDT, in the log files I see

[2014-11-14 08:28:57,486] [Log ] [SchedulesDirect EPG Client] [INFO ] - Channel KYTX was found as 11 KYTX in EPG mapping database
    [2014-11-14 08:28:57,486] [Log ] [SchedulesDirect EPG Client] [INFO ] - Updated channel 11 KYTX [id=387 xmlid=42614.11.schedulesdirect.org]

[2014-11-14 08:28:57,517] [Log ] [SchedulesDirect EPG Client] [INFO ] - Channel KYTXDT (KYTX-DT) was found as 240 KYTXDT in EPG mapping database
    [2014-11-14 08:28:57,517] [Log ] [SchedulesDirect EPG Client] [INFO ] - Updated channel 240 KYTXDT [id=389 xmlid=42798.240.schedulesdirect.org]

If you go to your online SD account, edit the channel lineup to remove "11 KYTX" and the other "bad" channels, do another full channel delete, sd-plugin download/setup run, do you get the "good" channels?

Last edited:

davidpmays

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2010
    Home Country
    Ah, yes. 11 is KYTX SD and 240 is KYTXDT HD or, in other words, 11 was analog and 240 is digital. Longview Cable spent the last year getting rid of analog so they no longer exist. The nut of the problem: If I scan for channels only a few channels match the schedule, many channels match wrong and most do not match anything. If I let SD scan for channels I get most of the schedule however, it flags all the channels as analog and I cannot map them to my digital card. In the past when this whole mess started I used MySQL workbench and inserted my favorite channels link to Schedules Direct after a scan. Then came the request to get all the schedules correct so I deleted everything I had and started over. I found most of the channels but not my favorite. I found it interesting WinTV came right up with everything so there was hope. However, I did not try their scheduling. So, I know the cards can receive them all, I know Schedules Direct has most of the channel information, it is matching them that is frustrating me. I can say my reloading, yet again, has reveled my favorite channel as 19-1 KYTXDT with the wrong schedule. I don't think it was there yesterday. I think I have multiple problems and it is a matter of ironing them out. So, I am at a decision point. I can delete and scan; then laboriously update each of my 156 channels with the correct Schedules Plus information. Or ..... I can continue to be frustrated. Oh life is so full of choices.

I am intrigued with you comment "go to your online SD account, edit the channel lineup." I didn't know I could do chance on delete items under edit. I will do the rescan and repost...... just a minute.[DOUBLEPOST=1415994733][/DOUBLEPOST]OK, I deleted everything and let SchedulesDirectEPG Client add channels. I see all my channels but I cannot map them to an ATSC/QAM Tuner. I can map them to an Analog TV Tuner but then they fail to work.

Last edited:

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    I've never done battle with sd-plugin vs cable options, so I don't know what to suggest. If you still have the logs from the most recent attempt to get sd-plugin running and the local time of you did the update. upload the logs maybe @mm1352000 has some ideas. the sd-plugin is mainly auto-magic, not a lot of user options to manually tweak the way mapping works.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello guys

When I scan my channels with my digital card it does not find all the channels. Fact is it finds all the channels but two and one is the one I watch most.
    I'd like to help with this, but I'm not clear on which two channels you're talking about. Posting the information that WinTV found would also be helpful.

I deleted all channels and set Schedules Direct to auto add new and set it to tuner. It finds all the channels but sets them up as analog and I cannot map them to my digital cards.
    From the code, my understanding is that the SD plugin is incapable of creating digital (ATSC, digital cable [QAM]) channels. The reason it has the ability to create channels is for people that use an analog tuner or capture card with IR blaster to connect their set top box to their PC. Hence the creation of analog channels.

...but then I have to use MYSQL workbench to insert the Schedule Direct information.
    To force the SD plugin to map EPG to the correct channels, set the name of the TV Server channel to the SD channel callsign. Then force the SD plugin to update the guide.

Alternatively [not recommended!], combine/merge the analog channels with the corresponding digital channels. You'd get the guide data from the analog channels and keep the digital tuning details.

mm

davidpmays

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2010
    Home Country
    Hum, mm1352000 you have cleared up the why, the plugin does not do digital. I hope all is not lost. I looked over the combine/merge and it looks like I have to let SD add channels, then Scan with digital card and then individually map each channel. I have two cards so that is four tuners with analog and digital each so I think that will entail 4*183 maps. I communicated with SD that my cable company, Longview and Kilgore Cable Co., no longer broadcast analog channels. They deleted the analog setup. I deleted my schedule and then re-added my listings, edited, thanks RonD, to get rid of unsubscribed channels and restarted. I have included all the logs. Considering current information is it possible for me to update a data base field to change the listings from analog to digital or is it more complicated than that? I really appreciate your help. As a side note in my location I no longer receive any analog channels over the air or from my cable provider. I wonder if others will have this same experience during their next fix it session. I love MP so I really want to get this fixed.

Attachments

• 20141115 6 43 Clean Updata SD add Channels with SD.zip
      9.1 KB
    • Screen Shots.zip
      1.6 MB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again David

I looked over the combine/merge...
    Did you decide you don't want to rename your channels as instructed, or...???
    In case you missed what I said, I want to strongly reiterate: I do not recommend combining/merging.

...and it looks like I have to let SD add channels, then Scan with digital card and then individually map each channel.
    You mean merge not map, right?
    Merging is combining of two or more channels into one channel.
    Mapping is linking channels to tuners.
    Mapping is much simpler than merging, because you can bulk-select all channels and map them with a few key presses and one click... so I don't know why you'd say "individually" unless you're talking about merging.

I have two cards so that is four tuners with analog and digital each so I think that will entail 4*183 maps.
    Again, I don't know why you're saying "mappings". Either way your maths is off.

The number of merges you'd have to do [if you insist on taking the non-recommended merge route] is independent of the number of tuners you have. If your cable provider/lineup has 183 real/actual channels, that means you should have 183 pairs of [SD analog channel + TV Server digital channel] to merge.

For the record, mappings...
    Based on your log files, you have two digital tuners and two analog tuners. All your channels are digital so the analog tuners can be ignored (they can't be used for anything). You scan once with one digital tuner to pick up all your channels. The channels will automatically be mapped to the tuner you scan with, leaving only one tuner to map. Assuming the scan found 183 channels, that'd be 183 mappings to create... but as above: this can be done as a "bulk" step and does not have to be done individually for each channel.

Considering current information is it possible for me to update a data base field to change the listings from analog to digital or is it more complicated than that?
    This question does not make any sense to me.
    If you're asking whether you can convert the analog channels that SD creates into digital channels then the answer is no, absolutely not.
    If you're asking whether you can shift the EPG listings from the analog channels to the digital channels then the answer is yes, with a fair amount of effort.

I love MP so I really want to get this fixed.
    Well, what can I say. I've provided the information that you need to fix this:

To force the SD plugin to map EPG to the correct channels, set the name of the TV Server channel to the SD channel callsign. Then force the SD plugin to update the guide.

Not sure what more I can say to help or make it clearer than that.

Regards,
    mm

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    David,
    Where in the States are you? I am in Chicago and while all of the U.S. has been moving (or moved) off Analog, there are a few still available. Most are not real good stations.
    As for Digital OTA (ATSC), I pickup 55 doing a scan and the SD plugin finds the channels I have listed as available on the SD web site.

I recently converted from Wow Cable to U-Verse and cannot (do to nothing there) scan U-Verse for Digital.
    On WOW I was able to scan channels and map Most of the channels without issue.

One area of contention with SD is if you have more than one listing available on the SD web site. If you do, try unselecting Automatically add new digital cable / Satellite channels under Advanced Options.
    It comes turned on with the install of SD 1.3.
    Turning it off has always helped me.

davidpmays

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2010
    Home Country
    Yes, I mean merge not map in the description of all the work, sorry. Mapping is what I am trying to accomplish. I don't have any trouble with OTA and MP.
    I have normally updated by scanning, then going to SQLworkbench and putting in the SD information for each channel. I recently added a second card adding two tuners, I removed it for these test to see if it was the culprit and it is not. Over a year ago, before the switch from analog to digital, I always did add channel in SD and it worked with the box add analog channels unchecked. My problems started after the switch. I have been in dialogue with Robert Kulagowski at Schedules Direct and I found his last email interesting. I don't understand it but I think it may point to one possibility why I am having a challenge.

Subject: [schedulesdirect.org #11894] Provider:Longview Cable TV Co, Type:CableDigital, Zip:75605, Lineup:TX42641:X Device:Digital

The XML service does not have support for QAM. If you do a scan in your application, you would use the "X" lineup to your account at Schedules Direct and then correlate the scanned channels with the stationIDs so that your application would know which schedules to use where.

The JSON service has QAM support, (we would take the scan and do the correlation) but your application would need to be written to use the JSON service.

I could not find how to select the "X" lineup, but I think that is what I have (re. above X Device:), nor do I know about "JSON" service.

I am sorry I am such a pill at this, I used to be smarter but it seems while each day I learn something new, I forget at least two more things I knew.
    I also recognize the difficulty with matching lies with the fact that Longview Cable reports a channel with one name and it is slightly different with what is stored at SD. It took me 6 months to get them to acknowledge they have failed to update music channel names that changed 4 years ago. Not only in what was reported in a scan but what they displayed in their guide. Now they are updated. It may be I am looking at a similar problem all over again.

So, as I see it. I can scan with Clear QAM Cable - QAM Standard, and see if anything changes (that is the definition of insanity, right!) and then go to SQLworkbench and put in the correct schedule for each channel OR I can unplug my cable and get OTA. Choice number 2 is looking real good.

I have one additional problem and it has to do with scanning and I will post something over there when I get some facts together.

Again, thanks for all the help!!!! Y'all were GREAT!
    If you see anything else .... please post.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    David,

This may be more trouble than you want to deal with, but with the new v1.3 mc2xml and xmltv-plugin you can still use schedulesdirect, but have full (be careful what you ask for) control of mapping between SD-EpgNames and MePoNames. The v1.2 mc2xml stopped working with SD but I noticed there was a new version today. If you want to try this, you'll need to download mc2xml, disable the sd-plugin, enable the xmltv-plugin, and make a windows scheduled task to run mc2xml. The following message gives info on how I setup mc2xml with schedules direct.
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/new-version-of-mc2xml-v1-3.128433/#post-1110628

this wiki gives setup for mc2xml/xmltv
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_..._TV_Setup/4_TV_Guide_Setup_(EPG)/XMLTV_mc2xml

With the xmltv plugin channel mapping, you might try using the "partial map" setting and see how well this works This does not work well for my antenna/ATSC channel names. You can also use the xmltv options to manually map the channel names. I ended up making a mc2xml.ren file that has pairs of SdName:MePoName to map the maps. Kind of a pain but once its done mapping should work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom