Scheduled recordings not always highlighted in guide (1 Viewer)

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've been getting a lot of problems recently with scheduled recordings not being shown on the guide. The schedules themselves are there and recordings happen when they should, but don't always show up on the guide. Any idea if this is a known thing (and if so if there's a way to cure it)?

If this is considered a skin issue rather than EPG, feel free to move it to the skins section :)

I'll post some logs later if they'll help, but I'm not sure this sort of thing will show up in the log as it's just a visual problem.

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Hi,

We need log and a screenshot from the tv guide where we can see the issue.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Presumably not a known issue then. Predictably it's working perfectly now I've mentioned it... next time I notice the problem I'll grab logs and a screen shot.
    Yes, it is a known issue (there is another thread about this somewhere, from a couple of years ago I think).

I also suffer from this (on MP 1.9.0 pre), but I have not noticed any pattern in the occurrence of this problem. If you are in the UK, you have to be careful not to confuse an SD channel with an HD channel (i.e. you scheduled the programme to record on the HD channel, but you are looking at the EPG entry for that programme on the SD channel, and mistakenly thinking that it should be highlighted). But even after eliminating these cases, I still get this problem.

Effectively, you have to ignore the EPG highlighting, because you cannot rely on it being correct. Instead, you should manage your recordings from the "Scheduled Recordings" panel. From that panel, you can see what has already been scheduled, and hence decide what new recordings you want to schedule.

In the previous thread there was some speculation that the SQL query was timing-out, and certainly in my case my OS drive is a very-slow 5400rpm former-laptop disk. Is that the cause? Who knows! :(

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    Interesting, thanks for your thoughts... I'm definitely not mistaking the channels - if I click on the entry that should be marked, the option is for "don't record", so it knows it's scheduled, just seems to be a problem displaying the guide. What you said about SQL time-out is interesting - my media machine is fairly weedy by modern PC standards and I did have problems upgrading MySQL because of time-outs, but I don't think the guide takes long enough to generate for the query to be timing out. I wonder if it's possible to increase the default time-out on the MySQL server and see if that makes any difference - I'll look into it. It's certainly an intermittent problem, so could well be speed or disc access related. It seems to be happening more with each new MP release (although I couldn't get it to go wrong last night when I was trying to collect logs and screenshots), so perhaps it's just getting too heavy for my old kit and an upgrade would help.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    OK, here we go - caught it at it again :)

"8 out of 10 cats" is set to record on Channel 4. You can see it in the scheduled recordings list but not on the guide. If you click on the programme you get the "don't record" option, so it knows it's set. Other scheduled recordings are showing up, so it's not an all or nothing thing. Attached logs and screen shots. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• guide.png
      guide.png
      490.7 KB
    • scheduled.png
      scheduled.png
      685 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    OK, here we go - caught it at it again :)
    It is unfortunate that your TV Server logs are info rather than debug level. Of course I take your word for the fact that you have it scheduled. I just can't see when the server checks the guide data against your schedules. On that note: TV Server was busy grabbing guide data right about the time you took those screenshots. So I wonder whether that has a contributing effect.

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    It is unfortunate that your TV Server logs are info rather than debug level.
    Ah - I ran MP using the watchdog, thinking that puts all logs to debug level. Do I need to set it manually in the TV server first? I'll do that next time if it'll help.

mm1352000 said:
    TV Server was busy grabbing guide data right about the time you took those screenshots. So I wonder whether that has a contributing effect.
    I wonder... could be SQL timeouts because the machine was too busy like CyberSymian suggested above.

It's really not a big deal (the recordings themselves work fine), but would be good to find out what's going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom