Scheduling Engine question: Does a partially recorded show get rescheduled? (1 Viewer)

wayloncovil

Portal Member
August 19, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Good day!

I scheduled a recording with Windows Media Center awhile ago. When I went to watch it, I noticed that the first 15 minutes of the program didn't record for some reason.

So I thought, I wonder if there's another showing. I checked the guide and there was. The thing that was interesting is that it was already scheduled to be recorded. It's as if Windows Media Center knew it messed up and took steps to fix it's mistake.

Would MediaPortal do something similar?

Thanks!

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Would MediaPortal do something similar?
    No. Recordings are recognized through the presence of the respective XML file. MP has no way to tell if the recorded show is ok or not. Regarding what WMC did, it could be that WMC was recording every occurrence of said show - something that MP can of course also do.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Regarding what WMC did, it could be that WMC was recording every occurrence of said show
    WMC can do that. of course. But WMC also does what the original poster said. If a recording fails for some reason (e.g. loss of signal, power cut, BSOD, ...), WMC will reschedule that particular episode to record.

The Win 7/8 EPG has series ids and programmes ids, so WMC can look for the specific episode that failed. In addition, in these circumstances WMC will look for that episode on every channel, even if the original schedule was only for episodes on a specific channel.

This is an excellent feature of WMC, but of course it requires the use of series ids and programme ids for it to be possible. Perhaps in MP2... (at least, in the UK :)).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

wayloncovil

Portal Member
    August 19, 2015
    Home Country
    Thanks for the great answers! Does schedules direct send program ids that MP could utilize if it had the ability?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Does schedules direct send program ids that MP could utilize if it had the ability?
    In the UK we have a free 7-day EPG that is broadcast with the TV signals (and which already includes series ids and programme ids). As a result, I have not felt the need to explore other EPG sources, so I will have to leave it to someone else to comment about "Schedules Direct". o_O

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    Sorry, looks like I didn't understand the question right.:rolleyes:
    Edit:
    Anyway, SD never rescheduled a botched recording for me.

Last edited:

wayloncovil

Portal Member
    August 19, 2015
    Home Country
    Sorry, looks like I didn't understand the question right.:rolleyes:
    Edit:
    Anyway, SD never rescheduled a botched recording for me.
    I'm wondering if schedules direct broadcasts the program ids of the shows. If so, MP could be programmed to use them if a recording was botched.
    So, just wondering if Schedules Direct does in fact transmit the program ID.

wayloncovil

Portal Member
    August 19, 2015
    Home Country
    It does.

Yes it could. However, there's nobody doing that right now.
    Nice to know that about SD.
    Sounds like the MP database would need to keep track of the info from SD and the actual start and end time of the recording. Then a plug-in could mine the data looking for problems and reschedule accordingly.
    Cool. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom