Screen ratios give black picture except for 'original ratio' (1 Viewer)

robomonkey

Portal Pro
August 4, 2005
Hi, I did a clean instal of RC3 and still got the same problem. this time though non of my previous tricks workto make it show the picture.

But if I start in windowed mode then switch to fullscreen (alt+enter) its fine.

nodef

August 24, 2005
Has this been entered into bug tracker? I can confirm the problem with R3 and R4. It seems like Muschi has tracked it down, but if it's not in Mantis I'm worried it won't get noticed and fixed. I did a search and found nothing, but I have to admit I'm a novice...

nodef

August 24, 2005
One more potential work around.

I found two calibrationXxX.xml files. Only one matched my true screen resolution. When I delete both files and restart they are both reconstructed.

To fix the problem, I modified the "overscan*" lines in the incorrect calibrationXxX.xml file to match my correct resolution (effectively making both files identical) and I can now start in full screen mode without problems. This seems to be consistent with Muschi's description that the initial full screen mode loads the incorrect file (mine also seemed to be off by 12x12 pixels). Since both files now have correct resolutions this doesn't cause a problem.

In more detail - I modified the lines:

<entry name="overscanwidth">1932</entry>
<entry name="overscanheight">1092</entry>

to match those of my correct screen resolution:

<entry name="overscanwidth">1920</entry>
<entry name="overscanheight">1080</entry>

Now I can start in full screen without a problem. Not a real fix, but less manual then having to startup in windowed mode then switch to full screen. I guess the real question is what is creating the calibration(X+12)x(Y+12) file?

audiodigital

Portal Member
September 2, 2005
Epsom, Surrey, UK
Same problem here, is there a fix ? only affects full screen

I can only view in 'original' aspect any other mode results in a black screen.

This is the same for MY TV and MY VIDEOS.

Initally if I kept switching it would show correctly, this is a recent bug.

when I choose previous window it shows the video in the last selected mode in the little preview window just wont do it at full screen.

i've reinstalled etc but no joy :(

audiodigital

Portal Member
September 2, 2005
Epsom, Surrey, UK
I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers and having played with them for a while it seems that this bug is probably graphics driver related as after an hour of poking and prodding around I am now currently able to select the mode again in MP as normal.

My resolution is set at 1024x768 and my TV (secondary) is 'clone' of the monitor (primary) so I see exactly the same on both regardless if one or other is off - normally only have TV on.

hope this helps someone else.

robomonkey

Portal Pro
August 4, 2005
Wow, I just tried the latest SVN and channel chaning is super fast!! very keen to use it, but.. with SVN 12/5/2006 I don't get any picture trying any of the workarounds above.

I also notice that I don't even get a calib1366x768.xml file created anymore! can somebody post one so I can amend it to my screen?

Also can we establish whether this is only happening on Nvidia cards?

Lastly audiodigital, can you export \ send me \ post your nvidia profile (hopefully should contain all your settings so I can stick it on mine)

riaa_arse

April 5, 2006
solution proposed by nodef works for me

I using MP 0.2RC4. I have a nVidia 6200 series card, and I was facing the same problem. With the exclusive directx mode enabled, the screen would go blank on fullscreen mode. I did the following to fix the problem:
1) made a copy of callibration<correct_resoultion>.xml file
2) deleted the file callibration<incorrect_resoultion>.xml
3) renamed the copy of the file callibration<correct_resoultion>.xml to callibration<incorrect_resoultion>.xml

Crash

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 12, 2005
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I dont have this files, only ScreenCalibration1024x768.fs.xml, ScreenCalibration1932x1212.xml, ScreenCalibration1932x1212.xml.bak, calib1024x768.xml, calib1024x768.xml.bak.

I used before a 15" TFT 4:3 with 1024x768, now I change to a 24" Widescreen with 1920x1200 16:10. I have the same problem, it works only with the original Resolution, in DVD, TV and Movies.

Try different codecs, nothing helps.

I use RC0.4 with SVN from 28.5.06, newest Nvidia driver for 7600GT and TV Card is a PVR250.

hope, someone can help

thx

martijn_online

Portal Member
    June 15, 2006
    The Netherlands
    I have a similar problem. See report below (1) and my work around (2).
    Is the MP team looking at this problem? I would like to use the internal player again. Its a pitty it is not solved in the 0.2.0.0 release. I had the same problem with RC4.

Regards,
    Martijn

1) MP report

Area: Media Portal Program
    MediaPortal Version: 0.2.0.0 (2006-07-03)
    MediaPortal Skin: MCE
    Windows Version: Windows XP (SP2)
    .NET CLR Version: 2.0.50727
    DirectX Version: 4.09.00.0904 (9.0c)
    Audio Codec: -
    Video Codec: -
    CPU Type: Intel Celeron - 2.93GHz
    Memory: 255 MB
    Motherboard: Gypsum (MSI)
    TV Card Model: -
    TV Card Type: -
    TV Card Driver: -
    Video Card Model: Nvidia Geforce 7300 GS (256 MB)
    Video Card Driver: 91.31_winxp2kmce_international_whql
    Video Card Resolution: 800x600
    Video Render Type: -
    Audio Card Model: Realtek High Definition Audio
    Audio Card Driver: -
    Synopsis::

No full screen video with internal player (Divx, MPEG etc) if 'exclusive directx mode'' is on.
    In this situation MP has no blank video screen if the screen mode is turned from Normal to Original (right click on screen, change the screen size).

If ''exclusive directx mode'' is turned off full screen is working but the screen is from time to time disturbed (tearing?). So it has no acceptable quality.

Other apps like Windows media player & Classic Media Player have no problems with Full screen mode (see also 'Work around')

Installed the latest NVIDIA driver without results.

2) Work around

- downloaded Media Player Classic (MPC) - see http://www.free-codecs.com/Media_Player_Classic_download.htm
    - created C:\program files\Classic Media Player directory
    - put the Media Player Classic executable in this new directory
    - started the MediaPortal setup
    - opened Movies > MoviePlayer
    - turned on the option 'use external player'
    - used Browse button to set the path
    - set te parameters to %filename% /fullscreen
    - closed the setup

After clicking a movie in MP the MPC is started at full screen mode.
    If you want to stop:
    double click on the screen so the full screen mode is turned off. Then you can close MPC with OK

martijn_online

Portal Member
    June 15, 2006
    The Netherlands
    Calibration

I tried several things with the screen calibration like others did. Look buggy to me...

I have a screen resolution of 800x600 (for television).
    First I had a calib812x612.xml file and a calib812x612.xml.bak
    I tried several things, for example changing values manuely, settings calibration settings by using MP (Settings in the main menu). I found out: when changed the over scan values by making the view some pixels smaller then full screen was available.
    But after closing MP en starting it again I had to change the values again.

Then I decided to delete thexe calib* file so MP had to regenerate them again.

After starting MP not new calib* files where generated but screenCalibration800x600* files (a new name??)

After setting the over scan values again I had full screen video. But after restarting MP I had to do it again. And MP had generated new files again: screenCalibration812x612.*

I did a calibration again and it looks like MP showed good quality full screen moving pictures.

This I confusing for me. I have now several calibration files in the MP directory:

screenCalibration800x600.fs.xml
    screenCalibration812x612.xml
    screenCalibration812x612.xml.bak

I restarted the PC full screen was working OK again.

The content of the screenCalibration800x600.fs.xml file:

<xml>
    <profile>
    <section>
    <entry>0</entry>
    <entry>0</entry>
    <entry>10000</entry>
    <entry>10000</entry>
    <entry>-1</entry>
    <entry>1</entry>
    <entry>1</entry>
    <entry>798</entry>