Scrolling long small list view is laggy (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

Probably not a bug exactly but when scrolling through a large list of items it is laggy and uneven scrolling. Sometimes small pauses and changes in speed. Also overall it is slow and makes it painful to do.

Again I make comparison to MP1 (sorry) but the scroll is smooth and fast in MovPics so I imagine it doesn't have to be this way.

For info I have server + client locally only with 6 core CPU, 16GB ram and raid 0 SSD. Coupled with MP1 comparison I'm making the assumption it is not a hardware bottleneck.

Is this known already? Is it calling for some objects constantly or something (I do see it doesn't attempt to actually display any fanart etc. whilst scrolling until I stop). It feels like its getting bogged down.

Thanks

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Is this known already? Is it calling for some objects constantly or something (I do see it doesn't attempt to actually display any fanart etc. whilst scrolling until I stop). It feels like its getting bogged down.
    It is known and also something I really dislike and the main reason I do not record videos of MP2 instead of posting screenshots.
    After entering a media screen it takes moments until FanArts and Poster appear. When scrolling a certain distance I have to wait again until the further FanArts are loaded.
    A smooth scrolling is currently implemented by @Brownard, but it's more regarding animation effects when the focus moves from one to another media item. Currently it's jumping, in future it'll be a smooth transition. But the problem you desribe is not solved by this. I think it's about caching of images in the background.

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Is it implemented in the version with this remote filtering added in? I still find:

- Scrolling is not constant speed
    - Scrolling is simply not fast enough, it needs to be twice what I am seeing for full speed scroll in my opinion. Ideally it would begin slow and after couple of seconds accelerate to faster speed and maintain it
    - Odd periods whilst holding down the arrow key and scrolling the scrolling will pause for a brief moment and then resume
    - Sometimes when scrolling up a long list, before reaching the top of the list the focus suddenly jumps to the menu bar (Windows 10 Theme) as if I have met the top of the list

It's not something to do with it trying to load in the little cover icon in list view to the left of the title and also the movie summary at the bottom of the screen is it? It looks like it's trying to keep up displaying those two things with the scroll, but the fanart backdrop and large cover image on the right waits until I stop scrolling to load in..

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The new effects are partly implemented into the newly developed WMC skin, but need some fine tunings and skinning. Other skins I will not touch for the moment.
    Until the WMC skin will be ready for public it will take until Autumn release I think. Windows 10 theme and BlueVision were not finished until they came to public. It's even now not as I like to have it, mostly due to limitations of skin engine and because I need support from Devs for many back code issues. I think this made many people having a bad impression about MP2. The WMC skin will be public, when it's ready and I'm happy with it. And I'll not release anything without implemented MIA rework, as it's essential for having a consistent skin.

Timhoh1234

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @morpheus_xx @MJGraf

Not sure, who is the right one for this:

Is there something, that can be done about the caching of the posters and FanArts? In MP1 they all immediately show up during scrolling, in MP2 they appear step by step dependend on the scroll position. Honestly it feels a little bit laggy and unfinished. The smooth scrolling sounds great, but what does it help, if the posters appear with delay.
    For testing purposes I created a small movie database on my local SSD, on which also MP2 server and client are installed. Even in this case I feel, that the caching of posters is laggy.

Another thing that is little bit strange: Often the posters in grid view and the large poster next to details are different and one poster is loaded faster than the other!? It seems one is the local stored fanart in the movie folder (loading immediately) and the other one scrapped from MP2 is loaded with delay.
    I'm missing an option in settings, that let me choose. if I want to use local fanarts or from MP2 scrapped ones.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom