Season Pass / Smart Timeslot Recording Algorithm (1 Viewer)

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
June 13, 2006
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Hey all,

As follow-up to the thread in the Improvement Suggestions section (https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/improved_weekly_daily_recording_algorithm-t20611.html) I'd like to get an idea if it is worth my trouble to post patched DLLs that include the "smart timeslot recording" code I had submitted.

Short version for those that have no idea what a smart timeslot is supposed to be: a program that is scheduled to record weekly/daily from 19:00 to 20:00 (for example) will also record when it is broadcast at 18:50, or 18:45, or 19:45, etc... up to 59 minutes out of sync. As long as the program title stays the same of course.

Broceliande suggested I'd still provide this if people were interested in the feature, but before I do all the needed work I'd like to know if anyone would really use this. Was anyone relying on this feature, is anyone (still) interested in having this for their recordings?

In any case, two questions:

1) If I do post DLLs, in what forum section do I post this? TVE3 / Support?

2) I'm afraid I'll only be able to provide patched DLL's from time to time, I won't be able to keep up with the nightly builds. Or shall I wait until there is a stable beta for TVE3?

Thanks all for your input!

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
June 13, 2006
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Look like I overestimated the need for a feature like this :) Since there are no replies.

In that case there will be no problem simply waiting until this is picked up again by an MP dev, and see if it makes it in some future version...

jonaskp

Portal Pro
October 23, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
I am not using the tv-server at the moment, but this would be great to have once I do make the switch. Best would it be if it could be a feature of the actual release.

How does this handle the situation, if for some reason, a scheduled program is not aired at all (for instance, if there were some extra sport-event or something in that timeslot), og if it is an episode of a series that is a double-episode?

Ralph

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    dvdfreak said:
    Look like I overestimated the need for a feature like this :) Since there are no replies.

Sure there are a lot of people interested, just upload your files (could be even done here, 'cause it's not a plugin, is it?).
    And leave a post everytime you updated your files.
    People who are intersted could download and try.
    But if your files won't work from SVN to SVN it wouldn't be very handy, indeed:(

But just give it a try and please don't give up your efforts, to bring this into MediaPortal.:)

Regards
    Ralph

Jetboy

Portal Pro
    April 15, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I sure would love this feature. I hate it when an episode of my show has been rescheduled by five minutes and i miss the ending.

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    I am not using the tv-server at the moment, but this would be great to have once I do make the switch. Best would it be if it could be a feature of the actual release.

How does this handle the situation, if for some reason, a scheduled program is not aired at all (for instance, if there were some extra sport-event or something in that timeslot), og if it is an episode of a series that is a double-episode?

If the program is not aired, nothing will be recorded that week/day.

And if the episode of the week happens to be a double episode it will be completely recorded, as long as it's in the guide as one program of course.

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium

Agreed. That's what I'd prefer as well of course.

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    dvdfreak said:

Sure there are a lot of people interested, just upload your files (could be even done here, 'cause it's not a plugin, is it?).

Nope, it would be some patched assemblies (DLLs) that need to be copied over the existing ones, both on the server and the client.

And leave a post everytime you updated your files.
    People who are intersted could download and try.
    But if your files won't work from SVN to SVN it wouldn't be very handy, indeed:(

Yes, I'd only be able to do this from time to time. Not exactly handy as you say, but I can try my best, time permitting.

But just give it a try and please don't give up your efforts, to bring this into MediaPortal.:)

Regards
    Ralph

Thanks, I'll do my best ;)

jonaskp

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    If the program is not aired, nothing will be recorded that week/day.

And if the episode of the week happens to be a double episode it will be completely recorded, as long as it's in the guide as one program of course.

That is the way I would want it to work. Unfortunately it doesn't at the moment, so when there are changes in the program/guide, The recordings are messed up.

This would be a great feature in the official release.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Intelligent recording has been talked about for quite some time and every time it gets brought up people are eager to use that feature. I think with the current release 0.2.3 many people are trying to track down bugs and the developers are working to get that release nice and clean. PLEASE don't give up on this feature it is very much wanted and I think MP will be better off to have some for of intelligent recording in the system. Please continue your work, your eforts will be appreciated by MANY users!

I for one think more Tivo-like features are needed in MP! But that means more work needs to happen on the EPG - as to track key items per video that is shown with actor, director, team, type of recipes, etc. so any "intelligent" recording can search through the database for the users key words that have been selected (or "automagically" understood by the computer after recording a few shows andanswering a few questions) - but this probably will come after MP gets to a release point of 1.0.0 - there are still many areas that need development work, but there is plenty of room for developers to work on intelligent recording. A long winded way to say - dvdfreak, please continue!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom