Secondary display in the kitchen (2 Viewers)

first407

Portal Member
November 9, 2005
Norway
I have a HTPC installed with MP in my living room. It is functioning well and we are using it for watching TV, music, photos, news, etc. I like to have the same possibilities available in my kitchen without a new HTPC. My thought is to just have a 17" LCD display with touch screen and speakers as a secondary display. Do you know if it's possible to have such a display connected to a PC without using wires for VGA, etc??

I am very thankful for any ideas to solve my problem.

wewe

Portal Pro
August 3, 2005
Herxheim
Home Country
Germany Germany
hi first407,

I was also thinking of doing that - that would be a great thing!

Unfortunately I don't have a solution but at least we can share thoughts ...

I see three solutions:

1. second PC. It could be a real small one, for example there are screens that contain a PC in their case. And then use VNC to transmit the video. But:
- VNC is much to slow to transport video (at least in my 100MB LAN)
- if a second PC - why not running MP in the second PC?

2. using a "transmit TV through the air" or however these solutions are called. But the quality of that seems to be very poor as you see here: http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12352&highlight=china

3. using cables. That seems to be the only senseful way to me. You can buy 25 meter VGA cable in good quality. Also sound should be no problem. But how to transport the signals from the touch screen? Does anybody know how that works?

thanks+regards
WeWe

first407

Portal Member
November 9, 2005
Norway
Hi Wewe

a) What is VNC?
b) If a second PC - I won't have any TV because all DVB-S cards and satelites cables are in my living room. I also don't want to use a new install of MP because then I have two configurations to update.

2. I am agree - bad quality

3. Hmmm, cables? I have no way to hide the cables.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    The KVM extender is a good idea, but pretty expensive. It lets you send the display and mouse/keyboard (or touchscreen) via a Cat5 (network)Cable. This is probably the neatest way to do what you want.

A much cheaper solution would simply be VGA and Serial extension cables and a little bit of hard work to conceal the cables.

For a little less quality but smaller cables, you could use the TV output from your VGA card and send the signals via SVHS.

To go truly cordless, use the TV out via a transmitter, as someone else has already suggested. You will need an LCD which supports AV inputs.
    You could also have cordless control by getting an MCE remote and mounting it somehow.

There are a number of options, all ranging from cost, complexity and cabling depending on how serious you are...

Good Luck.

wewe

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2005
    Herxheim
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    to first407:
    VNC is a software that transmits the Desktop of the server (video, mouse, keyboard) over the network to a client. I am using it to work remote from my other PC when I have to do setup stuff. I am using an old TV as MP's display and there you hardly can read Windows texts. I am using "TightVNC" ( http://www.tightvnc.com/ )

KVM Extender: I don't know about the performance for transporting streaming video. And it only transports mouse, keyboard and VGA - no sound.

So I am still stuck with a BUNCH of cables (in the truest sense of the word) ...

thanks+regards
    WeWe

trailboy

Portal Member
    January 23, 2006
    London, United Kingdom
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    wewe, try this one instead... it has a lot more features and it is free as well!
    http://www.ultravnc.com/

what you could do is the following...

if you want to send audio and video signal to a TV in the kitchen from the living room wirelessly, your only option is to go for one of those video sender (google that). they are able to send video and audio signal (from your TV out graphic card and soundcard output) from a source to a destination as well as remote control strokes towards the source. you could for example watch and control your MP on a normal TV in the kitchen and control it with your remote control!

the other option is to have a simple computer in the kitchen with a VNC viewer and a wireless network card. setup VNC server on your MP computer with wireless card as well. you can then VNC from the kitchen into the living room. VNC viewers can be set to run full screen and you could then use your computer in the kitchen as if it was your MP computer.

hope you understand all that. it is not to compicated. read again just in case...

good luck!

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2006
    Denver, CO USA
    UltraVNC is great... but it's multi-monitor support isn't as good as RealVNC even though I like it better in every other category.

The worst part of a multi-monitor setup is getting software to work from both unless you just plan on duplicating the output from the main display.
    In that case you will have the same resolution on both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom