Secondary sorting in TV recordings (1 Viewer)

gonzo90017

Portal Pro
September 3, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Don't know if this is skin related or MP 1.3 final related. . .

The one thing I really liked about 1.3 beta and 1.3 RC was that I could have the Recorded TV section list ordered by Title but still have the recordings inside each series ordered by date. Now having upgraded to 1.3 final it's no longer possible to do that. It's either one or the other.
Main.png Sub.png

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    This appears to be a bug. The sorting should only take into account the title but is using the episode name too.

Can you post a bug report in the relevant forum else I will forget...

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Try a different skin and the problem will still be there so nothing to do with Titan. I am on my phone so can't link but I am talking about the bug reporting forum for mp (see the various stickies about reporting bugs or the wiki)

Else a nice mod might move this thread

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    I guess the question is how should this work....
    Current logic is to do secondary sorts like
    PlayedNameChannelDate
    NameChannelDate
    DurationDate
    Date
    GenreDate?ChannelNameDate

Where name is based on the full description (eg. Title (series.episode episode name)
    The Genre one is definitely odd and inconsistent but that is a different issue...

Last edited:

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    *bump*
    What is the outcome here @jameson_uk?
    Two issues?
    No outcome.... This is way it always has been :rolleyes:
    There are kind of two issues but they are the same really. We need to decide how secondary sorts should work. It gets more complicated when you have programs with episode details as the current logic takes into account the whole string when sorting. So part of this is taking into account only the actual program name when sorting and the other part is how to sort subsequently.

If you have
    Program (1.1 Pilot)
    Program (1.2 Episode 1)
    Program (1.3 Episode 3)
    When sorting by name I might want to see them in this order (I guess this is actually ordered by episode but works by how we build the program name)
    but if you had
    Program (Pilot)
    Program (This is Episode 1)
    Program (Another Episode)
    sorting by name make little sense.

Not sure what the best way to improve this is but sorting by channel seems an odd way to do this?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Not sure what the best way to improve this is but sorting by channel seems an odd way to do this?
    Some people memorise the channels that programmes show on... so I guess sometimes it makes sense to group by channels at times, but not necessarily sort.

Example use case: what was the name of that documentary I recorded on the Beeb last week?
    There are 3 ways to find such a recording (assuming you don't remember the name):
    • genre (documentary)
    • date
    • channel
    Since genre is not often (even not usually?) available in sparse guide data, that is often not a choice.
    Date... well if you can't remember the name, you might not remember the date either. If you do, it is a good option.
    In this circumstance, channel could be seen as a lowest-common-denominator grouping mechanism to help you narrow it down.

Maybe stretching it?

In any case, I think we clearly need separate options for sorting by episode details. Maybe even only by episode number.
    I'd expect the most common sort for movies would be by name or genre + name.
    For series, name + episode number (or date - when episode number is not available) or series + played/not-played + episode number (or date).

As long as we can do that I think we'd have the basics covered.
    Whaddaya reckon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom