Seems like its time :) (2013 Linux) (1 Viewer)

If Linux was an option for Media Portal would you try it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ap90033

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    We live in a world taken over by Android and Mac (Unix Kernel). This Open Source Software (which rocks) does not have a client for THE Premier Open Source OS LINUX. Cmon now it's not 2000 and Windows is very quickly losing it's hold. People are tired of the MONEY, BUGS, SPYWARE, VIRUSES, MALWARE, ISSUES, etc etc etc....

Technet has been canned, and it seems as though Micro$oft could care less about IT guys. Linux is such an obvious choice. Don't you think it is worth at least a thought?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Don't you think it is worth at least a thought?
    It is more than worth a thought - it is highly desirable. :)
    IMO the problem is:
    1. MediaPortal is built on MS technologies, making it very hard to migrate/port. You're essentially talking a ground-up rewrite if you want something that isn't lame.
    2. At present the team does not have enough developers to migrate/port and/or support both Windows and Linux (or UNIX).

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    We live in a world taken over by Android and Mac (Unix Kernel).
    Windows is very quickly losing it's hold.
    Though I'd really rather not get in to a long discussion about this, but you are joking right...
    desktopoperatingsystemmarketshareasofjanuary2013_5111cf497929c_w587.png

Pointless discussion...

Last edited:

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    For me can ba an solution for 2nd client ( bedroom / kitchen ) and why not as primary
    but i'm not sure than Tvserveur can, because Tvcard need to be have driver for working ( @mm1352000 : i think you can complete this post about tvserveur)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    A linux client makes more sense to me than a linux server anyway. It would probably be more useful and less work as well (we already have mpextended)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @SpudR: while that may be true for desktop, the mobile space is totally different.
    @azzuro: the fact that most of the code is C# is more of a problem than the hardware/driver interface.

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Ehum... the way I see it - MePo on Linux just makes no sense.
    For you who wants it, why not work on the XBMC integration as a MePo client by supplying plugins/info/plugins to XBMC?
    Maybe supply code/info to make TV-Server/mpextended/other to be as open and friendly as possible to *nix OS - as longs as it does not "cripple" windows ;)

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    i think it can be good as MP1 "lite" client, but as standalone devellopement
    Raspberry + MP "lite" ( Tv + local Db or Network Db) (who can use Mpextended)+ CEC support = for bedroom
    i prefer don't use Xbmc = MP & XBMC are similar but differents

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    A linux client makes more sense to me than a linux server anyway. It would probably be more useful and less work as well (we already have mpextended)

Both make sense to me. Maybe that is just because my general attitude to software is to prefer open source and cross-platform software. However I do think that MS may be a sinking ship. While some of their technology is nice, their software is relatively expensive. Four years ago I started using Linux at work because I had no choice; these days I love it more and more and I'd use it by choice. There is less and less reason for me to want to use Windows.

When I first started using MP back in 2007 or so it was due to several factors...

TV
    MP was the best fit of all the options that I evaluated.
    DigitalTV (Twinhan OEM) didn't support codec selection so I couldn't get smooth h.264 playback working.
    DNTV Live! (DigitalNow OEM) was designed for use with a remote, didn't support other hardware and just generally... didn't feel right.
    Prog was clunky and crashed.
    DVB Viewer was expensive and I didn't like the scanning and channel management interfaces.
    XBMC didn't support TV.
    VLC didn't suit everyday use.
    DScaler didn't support digital TV.
    WMC couldn't be installed on XP.

Price
    Can't do better than free for a poor student! :)

Open source
    I prefer open source and cross platform software.

Hardware support
    I wanted to try Linux due to price and desire to learn, however my tuner didn't have Linux drivers. Most tuners didn't have Linux drivers back then.

Why do I still use MP today?
    Well, in addition to the reasons above (which mostly still apply), I enjoy being a member of the team (most of the time! :D).
    I learn a lot, both about teamwork and technology.
    ...but the biggest thing is loyalty. That is really the only thing that stops me using XBMC. I find the possibilities in terms of cheap hardware and cross-platform really exciting. A web interface like MPExtended is nice, but it isn't what I'm looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom