Seems like its time :) (2013 Linux) (3 Viewers)

If Linux was an option for Media Portal would you try it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    limitation is due to windows dependencies

Last edited:

ap90033

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Dont hit me now, I am not a programmer but can you code using whichever editor/IDE you are comfortable with, and simply compile on other platforms. CMake is a fantastic tool in this regard http://www.cmake.org/cmake/project/about.html ?

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Sorry, I thought that MP might be in say C++ and if the code was pure C++ it would be able to be done with minimal effort. I take it that MP is in VB (ugh) or some windows specific language. :(
    As far as I'm aware MP is a hybrid of C# and C++. More C# than C++.

Projects such as Mono exist to provide a .NET runtime environment in Linux. However as per kiwijunglist, there is no wrapper that I know of for using OS and hardware interfaces. DirectShow (media playback), BDA (TV support), D3D/DirectX (rendering)... all Windows-specific. Even if there was a Linux wrapper/sandbox I'd be surprised if there weren't significant performance impacts.

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
    January 21, 2010
    Braunschweig
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I voted yes, but As I am not into linux at all I could only imagine to use linux for a minmal client like raspberryPi. That might be a way to go first - alter rapsBMC to make it MP like and use MPextended to set it up as a client - but it already was mentioned before. This way there is no need to rewrite MP for linux and we all can have clients for about 100 bucks.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Rasp Pi is too weak to make a good client, would need something with more grunt. Ampdroid / Eve when sorted (eg. more stable and better remote/keyboard support in aMPdroid) would make a nice iOS/andoid thin client.

Altenatively just use XBMC with tv-server plugin and use a MP plugin to auto create xbmc compatible metadata and you have your thin client. Add trakt for xbmc and then watch status is sync'd.

Last edited:

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

mediacowboy

Portal Pro
    May 5, 2012
    Texas
    Home Country