Seems like its time :) (2013 Linux) (9 Viewers)

If Linux was an option for Media Portal would you try it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    When I mentioned MPExtended I am talking about making a linux client that could interface with mpextended (would solve a lot of duplication of work, and it already includes streaming)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    BUGS, SPYWARE, VIRUSES, MALWARE

Check the current three biggest mobile space players... Android is the top one when it comes to those. 2010s Windows 95 is the current Android platform and ecosystem. There is similar kind of freedom, platform issues and huge mass of users what caused similar outbreak on Windows 95 and few following OS versions after that (both W95 and NT kernel ones).

MS has learned it's lesson about security, Google not yet (Apple is still a bit lucky player as it has not been targeted that much - platform itself is quite infernal from security point when comparing to latest MS OSes - W7 / W8).

What comes to Linux version of MediaPortal itself, it just wont happen (no matter how many polls there will be). It would be just a complete re-write of the whole application since MP is being build on top of the MS specific APIs.

ap90033

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    http://www.techhive.com/article/226339/android_market_share_growth_accelerating_nielsen_finds.html

My TV Tuner is supported in Linux (I am forward thinking like that) https://www.silicondust.com/support/downloads/linux/

Desktops are dinosaurs, mobile, tablets, etc are more the way things are going.

It just seems to me rewrite or no, open source is open source and to be honest it isn't so much open when it is on the MOST $$$ focused OS of all time.[DOUBLEPOST=1372811313][/DOUBLEPOST]I have 0 issues on my Android Phone. I have had tons of issues on my WINDOWS PC. Sorry not going to sell me on lack of security on Linux especially with no proof.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @ap90033
    My TV Tuner is supported in Linux (I am forward thinking like that) https://www.silicondust.com/support/downloads/linux/
    More and more tuners have Linux drivers these days, but this was not the case even just a few years ago.

It just seems to me rewrite or no, open source is open source and to be honest it isn't so much open when it is on the MOST $$$ focused OS of all time.
    I think you have a different understanding/expectation of open source.

Let me take it from this angle...
    If you could have forecast the technology environment of today back in the early 2000s when MP was started then you'd be a millionare.
    Remember, MP was started from XBMC with a TV focus. Back in the day there was v4l for video capture support in Linux, but DVB support was a mess. Good PC TV hardware with Linux drivers did not exist.
    Windows on the other hand had a well defined tuner support framework in BDA. PC TV drivers were written for Windows.
    So, I'd argue that the founders of this project made the right decision for the time.

Fast forward to today...
    Yes, MS software is expensive and yes other platforms are becoming more viable... but that doesn't change the fact that MP is strongly coupled to MS technologies.
    I ask you: what is the point of this thread?
    If you're asking us to rewrite MP then maybe I could share this perspective:
    https://www.ohloh.net/p/MediaPortal/estimated_cost

Maybe the estimate is off. We could argue about that all day, but at least it gives you some idea. MP is not a small project that would be easy to rewrite.
    Even with 100 developers it might take 5 years. We don't have even a quarter of that number of active developers.
    So, everybody and his dog can select the "yes" option but it doesn't change the facts of the situation...

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I don't see the problem here.

Mediaportal has by far the best Android client. aMPdroid IMHO is much better than installing a full blown instance of XBMC on your android tablet, and with the other mobile apps such as EVE, soon MP will be available on all tablets.

For those who want a Linux desktop client simply use XBMC with the TV Server Plugin. I use this on a raspberry pi.

That just leaves the TV Server. I hear all the arguments for Linux over MS but the one argument that I can't understand is the money one. I bought a copy of Windows 8 while Microsoft had a deal on and it was about £40. When I compare this to the amount of time I used to spend tinkering and troubleshooting my linux installations (when I used to use Mint a few years ago) then Linux was far more expensive in terms of my time.

Also for the perfect HTPC experience there are still a number of things that don't work well on Linux e.g. on the fly blu-ray decryption, silverlight implementation etc

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I would also refer people to this post from 2007

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mediaportal-and-linux.14283/
    If you search the forums then you will find many request to port MediaPortal to Linux.

Generally speaking this idea is good. But the Team MediaPortal simply does not have the required manpower to port MediaPortal to other operating systems and maintain this versions, since this is an opensource project.

A few community members have started the Media Portal to Linux Migration Project.
    If you want to help them, have a look at the link to the forum thread above.

I wish them all the best :)

ap90033

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Sorry, I thought that MP might be in say C++ and if the code was pure C++ it would be able to be done with minimal effort. I take it that MP is in VB (ugh) or some windows specific language. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom