Self Contained Web Server / Interface (2 Viewers)

j1nx

Portal Pro
July 16, 2005
Big_Kev,

What about to integrate a webremote?. Make it an option to turn it on and off (as some people don't run the server and client on the same machine)

Just check if mediaportal client is running, if so translate html input from your server into actual keystrokes. I don't know if you get what i'm trying to explain and if this is even possible.

I'm asking because on the 8th of november i'm working 5 years in my company and i could choose a present of about 300 euro's. So the 8th i will start working on some "ipod touch" specific pages. Webremote page will then open a whole new world.

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Thank you for the new version. I installed it today. Two things to report.

1. Remember the issue I posted a few days ago. Back to back recordings on a single tuner. Unfortunately it still does not work. My first program is recorded fully, but the second program is 0kb in size.

2. I have a weekly recording scheduled via MP for every Wednesday. When viewing the schedule for today (Friday), the programs are also flaged with the red-recording-icon. I have some screenprints to clarify.

Picture 1 will show you that Egoli is scheduled as a weekly recording every Wednesday at 18:00.
    Pictures 2 and 3 are the schedule for today, Friday. Notice that the same show, Egoli at 18:00, is flagged for recording. This is not correct. It shows correctly in MP only every Wednesday.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      82.8 KB
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      113.7 KB
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      109.1 KB

j1nx

Portal Pro
    July 16, 2005
    To come back to my own suggestion about the webremote.

I will do it for now using "mce controller", maybe you (Big_Kev) can have a look at it, as it is released under the BSD license. http://www.kindel.com/products/mcecontroller/

This is a small piece of software which you can install on the computer running the client. You can then just send STRINGS over TCP/IP which the software translates to keystrokes or windows messages and runs them. All commands/strings can be configured.

I will start doing some testing with another webserver sending the strings from within PHP, as that is what i know. (probably the mambo package)

If it will be possible to eventually send strings over TCP/IP from within this webserver (configurable), then i will start porting the webremote page.

wish me luck.

PS. If any of the readers of this tread happens to know a good iphone browser simulator, please let me know.

PPS. The interface will be based on http://code.google.com/p/iui/ so it will look as a native iphone application. I will create more universal pages after that for other PDA's.

Big_Kev

Portal Pro
    June 8, 2007
    Home Country
    TCP Command Server/Client

To come back to my own suggestion about the webremote.

I will do it for now using "mce controller", maybe you (Big_Kev) can have a look at it, as it is released under the BSD license. http://www.kindel.com/products/mcecontroller/

This is a small piece of software which you can install on the computer running the client. You can then just send STRINGS over TCP/IP which the software translates to keystrokes or windows messages and runs them. All commands/strings can be configured.

I will start doing some testing with another webserver sending the strings from within PHP, as that is what i know. (probably the mambo package)

If it will be possible to eventually send strings over TCP/IP from within this webserver (configurable), then i will start porting the webremote page.

wish me luck.

So what I am thinking is that you want to be able to create a web page that will operate as a remote control for the MediaPortal client, making any device that is on the network capable of being a remote control - so use your laptop/PDA/iphone etc as your remote.

I think I can do this by the following method...

1. Create a small TCP server app that will run on the PC running MediaPortal client, this app will send keystrokes etc to the MediaPortal Client.

2. Create a configurable interface on the web server that will allow you to create buttons to send commands to MediaPortal.

Sounds interesting, and very possible... I will give it a go!

I assume that you will be happy to do some testing for me?

Regards
    Kev

Brijn

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2005
    North vancouver, Canada
    Feature reqest

Hello,

If the below features have been requested already.. Sorry!
    - The ability to set X recordings under "Keep Options" when you schedule something. We record a lot of kids programs for our two kids.. And I used to always set it to keep 5 episodes

- The ability to edit and scheduled recording

For the rest, super software.. Nice and quick!

Bas

j1nx

Portal Pro
    July 16, 2005
    So what I am thinking is that you want to be able to create a web page that will operate as a remote control for the MediaPortal client, making any device that is on the network capable of being a remote control - so use your laptop/PDA/iphone etc as your remote.

I think I can do this by the following method...

1. Create a small TCP server app that will run on the PC running MediaPortal client, this app will send keystrokes etc to the MediaPortal Client.

2. Create a configurable interface on the web server that will allow you to create buttons to send commands to MediaPortal.

Sounds interesting, and very possible... I will give it a go!

I assume that you will be happy to do some testing for me?

Regards
    Kev

Big_Kev, that's exactly what i meant. I think the most important thing is that it is NOT released as a mediaportal plugin, but as a small TCP server app (like you said). Only sending keystrokes will make it compatible with every MP version.

A lot of people tried making external control process plugin, but they will "brake" at a certain moment.

But you don't have to re invent the wheel as the MCE controller link i gave, is just doing what we want and it is released as opensource. You can have a look at the sourcecode.

And yes i will be more then happy to test it :)

Thanks

rr69

Portal Member
    November 6, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi all,

I have seen there is a request for a webremote for the client side. I already use a webremote plugin (see link)

https://www.team-mediaportal.com/files/Download/Plugins/Input/PocketPCRemote0.2.2.0/

For controlling the client.

I can imagine that we could control the client "Mediaportal" machine also through the webserver, which means that i dont have to install separate software on my ppc. Just browse to the remote control page provided by the self containted webserver.

My Mediaportal client is separated from my server (exactly 2 floors). But if i install a small tcp plugin on the client that the webserver controls, then i can use my ppc to control the client trough the webpages provided by the self contained webserver.

Greetz RR69

j1nx

Portal Pro
    July 16, 2005
    Hi all,

I have seen there is a request for a webremote for the client side. I already use a webremote plugin (see link)

https://www.team-mediaportal.com/files/Download/Plugins/Input/PocketPCRemote0.2.2.0/

For controlling the client.

I can imagine that we could control the client "Mediaportal" machine also through the webserver, which means that i dont have to install separate software on my ppc. Just browse to the remote control page provided by the self containted webserver.

My Mediaportal client is separated from my server (exactly 2 floors). But if i install a small tcp plugin on the client that the webserver controls, then i can use my ppc to control the client trough the webpages provided by the self contained webserver.

Greetz RR69

Hi, yes i have seen that one. But that one as well use the control as a MP-plugin, which i think will also brake eventually because development of the plugin stops but developing of MP doesn't.

The benefits of making it a stand alone application(just like MCEController), will be; (at least that's how i see it)

- Sending keystrokes to the foreground application, will not break control if the mp developers change something
    - Sending keystrokes to the foreground application, will make it suitable for external players configurations.
    - Hence you could even use it for different mediacenter software.
    - Sending messages would give the possibility to minimize,maximize, etc..
    - Sending messages gives the possibility to make any application been send to the foreground/background.
    - It can even be used to start applications.

But as Big_Kev, got the same ideas, i have confidence in his expertise.

I checked out MCE-Controller even further, and as i see it know, we don't even have to change anything. Just provide it with a proper mediaportal commands XML file and it will work. Offcourse the strings still need to been send.

http://mcecontroller.cvs.sourceforg...ontroller/v1/Docs/Readme.htm?revision=1.1.1.1
    (This will explain what i'm trying to say)

Big_Kev

Portal Pro
    June 8, 2007
    Home Country
    New Version 0.2.0.03 Beta

Hi All,

Some small additions to custom HTML and templates...

New Features:
    • Check box on the "Appearance" page of the manager to turn on/off custom HTML in tables.
    • You can now specify a directory for your customised HTML templates. The interface will check here first, then in the normal folder when serving pages. Any templates you put in this folder will not be overwritten by new installs.
    Fixes:
    • Fixed !!!KeepUntil!!! in recorded programs.

Regards
    Kev

Hello!

Sorry if I apear a little pushy because I posted a similiar post some time ago...

I was wondering if this web interface will support utf8 encoding in near future?

Other than the problem with showing ascented caracters in TV guide this is one brilliant piece of code.
    I think if you just change the template files to charset = UTF-8 instead of windows-1252 this should fix it for you. Let me know how it goes.

If you create a directory for your changed template files, then enter the location in the manager program, these files will not be overwritten by new versions.

Kev

Big_Kev

Portal Pro
    June 8, 2007
    Home Country
    New Version 0.2.0.04

Just because you asked for it j1nx...

This version contains the first test of the "Remote Control".

The first component of this is the TCP server for the Keystrokes.

After you have finished installing this version, you will find a file called MPKeySvrSetup_0_0_1_01.exe in the application directory. This file is the installer for the TCP Keystroke server. You need to install this on the machine that will be running the MediaPortal client. This can not be a service as it has to interact with the desktop, so it runs as a tray or notification application - you will see an icon in the tray when it is running. You can right-click this icon to configure the listening port that is originally set to 50510.

Now go to the manager program and go to the Web Interface page.

You will see a place to enter the port number of the keystroke server (initially defaults to 50510), and the address of the PC running it (this could be "localhost" if the web server and MP Client are on the same PC).

Underneath that is a grid showing command names and Key strokes. These are completely configurable, I have just added some to get things started. When the command in the Name column is submitted to the web server "remotecommand" page, the keystrokes on the right are sent to the MediaPortal client.

A full list of abbreviations for virtual keys (like the arrow keys, enter, function keys etc) can be found on MSDN - just go to Microsoft website and search for "SendKeys".

Just for fun, you can go to another PC (not the MP client PC) and fire up Hyperterminal, you can connect and send keystrokes directly - just type in "{up}" for the up arrow etc. (you will need to configure to send a line feed / carriage return after each line).

When you go to the web interface, you will find a new page - remote control - this has a very basic remote with the bare minimum of buttons.... but you will get the idea.

The Key Server looks for the first instance of a form with the words "Media Portal" in the window title. If you have the manager program open on the Client PC, it may find that instead - so make sure nothing else is running with "MediaPortal" in the window name.

I have only tested with IE7 and XPpro.

Regards
    Kev

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom