Self Contained Web Server / Interface (3 Viewers)

nbradford

Portal Member
January 16, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Home Country
Great work (again!) Kev. Your Oz TV Guide downloader is working flawlessly for me and now you come up with this! Where do you find the time ;)

Ive given it a quick spin and have a few comments... (Feel free to ignore these, just my 2c ;-) )

Firstly - as others have reported, Firefox doesnt render the page properly.

The 'Show Recording Schedule' option returns no results when it should.

The 'Show Recorded Programs' option returns correct results by the look of it, but they are displayed in a narrow 1 column table in the centre of the page which would be better either multicolumn, or at least in a wider table

When setup completed, I got an error - Service 'Mediaportal Web Interface' failed to install with error "Win32 Error: Code 1073, The specified Service already exists. It was the first time I had tried to install it. The service was created though, and works fine without any mucking around.

You could also possibly include an option to choose which channels are displayed in the guide.

It seems as if only programs marked as record once show up as scheduled in the guide. Programs set to record series, dont.

You could add an option to allow the user to cancel the recording (I tested by adding a schedule to record Miss Congeniality on Sunday night and I REALLY want to disable it now ;) )

When clicking 'Back' once in a guide entry, you are taken back to the current date, not the same time/date in the guide as where you were when you opened the entry.

As others have said, it would be good to be able to specify the date to jump to (or have a drop down with dates show for which guide data exists.)

It would be nice to have the day (ie Sunday), rather than just the date displayed at the top of the guide data.

Finally - while Im really impressed you did a roll your own web server that is light and effective, Im kinda picky about what services I expose the web ;-) Any chance you could have an option for 'Install pages only for use with an existing web server' option so a user can choose to use an existing installation of apache or IIS?

Hope the feedback is of use (dont take it the wrong way - Im really impressed with the job so far!)

Oh - also, during the configuration of the MSSQL user, adding system wide god privileges is not required. You dont need to configure anything on the Server Roles page. On the User Mapping page, just select the TVServer database, tick the box next to it, and select the db_owner database role in the lower pane. This give the user god in the TVServer database, but no rights to other databases.

Great doco BTW! Much appreciated!

Nick

EDIT: I just noticed too that the page title for the download link for the Web Server Interface is called 'Oz TV Guide Downloader' ;-)

Eabin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    great work, this is looking really nice! any chance that it will be integrated with TVServer's PowerScheduler plugin, so the machine doesn't turn off while a user is browsing the guide and scheduling recordings?

Big_Kev

Portal Pro
    June 8, 2007
    Home Country
    Thanks for all of the sugestions.

I will be working on them over the next few days.

Hopefully I will be able to post a more functional version in the next few days.

Kev

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Hi
    I would love to try this, but I am experiencing problems. PC idle until just before I click on the "Show Program Guide" button. As soon as I click on it, the MPWEBINT.EXE process uses 99% CPU and memory usage keep climbing. After approx. 10 minutes I stopped it.

About 60 channels with approx 3 weeks data.
    AMD Athlon 3200+ (2ghz); 512mb ram; XP; MS SQL

Could it be that i have too much channels in the database?

Mr Bogota

Portal Member
    February 1, 2007
    At last !

At last someone is making an effort to produce a webinterface for the Tvengine, what I can say is that the instructions were very clear and simple, the installation worked like a charm. The webinterface scheduled a recording correct, but as said earlier, if a scheduled recording is removed it doesn't cancel it in tvengine, it just dissapears from the webinterface. So could you just make it to work on other webbrowsers than the IE it would be great.

One option that would be real nice, the possibility to start a stream directly from the list of recordings. Something like the MPtvclient. This would be big step forward in usability for this tvengine.

But this is a great Start !!

:D

surfermc

Portal Pro
    May 7, 2006
    Dorset
    Home Country
    England England
    Kev,

Thanks for your efforts. The installation guide made installation simple. :D

I am however having problems in Showing Recording Schedule, :( the page is never displayed. MPWEBINT.EXE uses 50% (1 core).

If you want some specific information let me know.

MC

Big_Kev

Portal Pro
    June 8, 2007
    Home Country
    It is likely to be the number of channels that is causing the problem... Well more like the efficiency of my query routine.

I dont have that much data to test on, so I did not encounter this problem.

I will try to simulate this amount of data and work on the routine efficiency.

Kev

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    I just upgraded to the latest svn version of mediaportal AND TV Server (was using version about two weeks old). The TV Server prompted me to recreate the database and the problem is fixed. Maybe something was corrupt in my database.

Anyway, I am a very happy user now.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I just upgraded to the latest svn version of mediaportal AND TV Server (was using version about two weeks old). The TV Server prompted me to recreate the database and the problem is fixed. Maybe something was corrupt in my database.

There are sometimes changes in the DB stucture between two SVN versions. That will trigger the recreate for the DB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom