Server console - 27-10-2010 - Alpha out now! (1 Viewer)

joz

Portal Pro
March 17, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Re: Server console (again ;))

Hey Aitor,

Been a while since I last updated you guys here, sorry for that.
First off this project of mine is still alive and kicking, well kinda;
I have moved away from using my main HTPC as my webserver and build a linux based server. So this meant my project also had to move to this linux box. As I suspected there are some issues I need to resolve. This is a good thing cause this way I have new insights in how to make things more generic.
Keeping things generic is still hard for me to accomplish because of all the variables I need to figure out and deal with. The first thing I bumped into was my free space available thing that´s purely based on windows filesystems. So now I need to figure out stuff so it takes the right approach for this part and dealing with these readouts.
This is only the first thing I bumped into and there will be many more. I also figured my configuration of certain elements is counterintuitive and need to be refactored in order to work well and be clear.

The thing is with this project that there are security issues that can work out reallly bad so I´m kinda causcious releasing anything that´s not 100% perfect, at least on the security aspect.
Besides that this little project is also kinda like a playground for me I can easily snap in new things I come up with that might be cool. I keep adding half assed features :) Now you know why feature freezes (like MP's) are actually a good thing but not really appreciated as they should be :)
I have been looking for ages to find someone willing to help me out on the programmers perspective but couldn´t really find the right people, kinda need someone to bounce ideas of and have a good second opinion.
Since I don't have that and my time's sparse nowadays, development is going really, really slow. But maybe we'll get to a release some day :)

joz

Portal Pro
March 17, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands

Opened a google code page again.
homeserverconsole - Project Hosting on Google Code

Still a lot to do (some major tasks in the tracker there) for version 1.0 so don't get your hopes up :)
I've setup everything now on SSL/HTTPS and would advice anyone using it to do the same (just as a side note it's not because I got in trouble using this (hacked or anything) but just taking precautions that should be taken).

The source is available for checkout on google code, so please do if you are interested and know a thing or two about php development. I'll appreciate any feedback I can get from you guys.

joz

Portal Pro
March 17, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands

After issue 3 is resolved (menu editor) and I have (re)written parts of the documentation (where code comments and a user manual are most important) users will be able to apply for a first alpha release (really? yeah really! finally! getting this somewhere :)).
Now for this release things might still be not as generic as they should (I hope not) so I ask for people only to apply with php, mysql and apache knowledge on their sleeves. If you do not have that and still want to apply you can but I will not answer to any questions that you should "know" when looking at the criteria. Basically what I'm saying is that I do not want to give full fledged support on the alpha, just a highly technical one and do not want to be bothered with easy to solve questions cause I have enough on my hands :).

p.s.

I wrote a while back I had moved my NAS to Linux, I moved it back to windows for some personal reasons. In the time in between I also lost a lot of work due to an unfortunate mistake so all the Linux adjustments I had made ended up gone. This project is currently only tested on windows with apache 2.2.x

joz

Portal Pro
March 17, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands

small update;
I finished the menu and user editor, just need to give a go at plugin configuration and some documentation.
I hope the first alpha will be released in a day or two.

---UPDATE2---
Commit svn progress is a bit behind cause google code's SVN is screwing up things again.

---UPDATE3---
Just committed a bunch of stuff that wouldn't yesterday. Some good news, the menu editor is now completely done! Ah well it can still use some work such as setting handling now being project wide instead of user based, that will be part of future release somewhere I think.
I also finished the GettingStarted guide, only thing left is code comments and then I will create a alpha package. Since I do not have any applies for testing this will be of a public nature.

joz

Portal Pro
March 17, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands

1.0 Alpha is now available for download!.

If you find bugs please report them on google code's issue tracker and be as thorough as you can. Bugs which I cannot reproduce and do not provide enough details will be scrapped from the tracker.

To get you started please read here.
Comments on documentation are also welcome cause I know it's not perfect or idiot proof (far from :))

p.s.

Downloading SVN trunk will get you the latest and (hopefuly) greatest

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom