Settop Box Blasting Issues (1 Viewer)

mystraven

Portal Member
June 17, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
So, i went through all my channels and set the frequency and after rebooting everything was working, Thanks again everyone for your help.

Just to reiterate for anyone else trying to solve this problem in the future, the solution for me was to set the frequency of every channel to 61.25, which is channel 3. Then IRBlaster would change to the correct channel number, and Tvserver would tune every channel to the frequency of channel 3.

mystraven

Portal Member
June 17, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Actually i want to add, "Most" channels work, which is kinda odd. i even verified in the database that i have the frequency set the same for every channel, but some channels still say "no signal detected"
I think i'll end up buying the rca - svideo cable.

randyh

Portal Member
November 2, 2010
Home Country
Canada Canada
I'm glad I found this thread because it really helped me out.

My cable provider is forcing upgrades to digital boxes which sucks since everything was working great on analog. Went out and bought a Hauppauge 1600 with IR blaster and prepared for what I knew would be the fight of my life trying to get this to work with MP.

I first tried with an S-Video connection but the audio was horribly out of sync and a full day of going through the forums yielded no working solution.

Clearly I need to keep the audio and video signal together so coax is my only option. The audio sync issue is gone, and thanks to this thread I'm able to tune all channel changes to the same channel on MP...but now the issue is that the blaster doesn't fire on any channels with tuner as the source. On other channels where the source is S-Video, the blaster works.

So far I'm down almost two full days and it's still not working right. The $300 for the PVR hardware from my cable provider is starting to look like a good deal....

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi randyh

I'm really sorry to hear you're having trouble.

I first tried with an S-Video connection but the audio was horribly out of sync and a full day of going through the forums yielded no working solution.
    I'd have encouraged you to ask for help rather than struggling by yourself - that is what we're here for. If you're able it would be good if you could post some logs. Use the watchdog with option 1 to make it easy:

1. Find the debug mode link in the Team MediaPortal folder in your start menu.
    2. Select option 1 ("report a bug...") and click proceed.
    3. Start viewing a channel using s-video.
    4. Switch to another channel using s-video.
    5. Close MP.
    6. Post the zip file created by the watchdog here.

Also, make a short recording of the "s-video channel" and then play the recording back in MP and other software like VLC - do you still see sync problems?

Clearly I need to keep the audio and video signal together so coax is my only option. The audio sync issue is gone, and thanks to this thread I'm able to tune all channel changes to the same channel on MP...but now the issue is that the blaster doesn't fire on any channels with tuner as the source. On other channels where the source is S-Video, the blaster works.
    Please post logs. As much as I want to help, when it comes to problems like this I'm not able to guess what is going on without them.

So far I'm down almost two full days and it's still not working right. The $300 for the PVR hardware from my cable provider is starting to look like a good deal....
    Mate - I've said it a couple of times and I'll say it again. We can only help if you let us. Don't struggle alone.

mm
    :)

randyh

Portal Member
    November 2, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    mm1352000, thank you for your attention.

I struggled by myself because I searched and found the FAQ's as well as several other threads on the forums about sync issues...some which were resolved and others not but I tried everything I came across. I wanted to make sure I tried everything to avoid getting the "Dude, did you bother to google?" response.

The sync problem is with live TV (I haven't tried recording yet..will do that shortly). Going through S-Vid, the audio is at least 1.5 seconds ahead of the video. Over RF, there is still a barely noticeable sync issue that could probably be resolved with tweaking the refresh rate..but it's not even bad enough to bother fiddling with it.

I will post the logs shortly.

And no, I won't be giving the cable company more money. They already have a gun to my head.

Thanks again for your help.

randyh

Portal Member
    November 2, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    MediaPortal Version: 1.1.2.0
    MediaPortal Skin: Ampped
    Windows Version: Windows XP SP3 x86
    CPU Type: intel
    HDD:
    Memory: 3gb
    Motherboard:
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6200
    Video Card Driver:
    Sound Card:confused:oundMax Integrated Digital Audio
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver:
    1. TV Card: Hauppauge HVR-1600
    1. TV Card Type: analog
    1. TV Card Driver:
    2. TV Card:
    2. TV Card Type:
    2. TV Card Driver:
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec:
    MPEG2 Audio Codec:
    h.264 Video Codec:
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Shaw
    HTPC Case:
    Cooling:
    Power Supply:
    Remote: Hauppauge
    TV:
    TV - HTPC Connection: coax

Hello again,

So i've set all my channels to "tuner" for source and i've tuned them all (exept channel 3) to 61.25 as outlined by mystraven. So my audio sync issues are basically fixed (some tweaking still required).

Of course the IR blasting didn't work because ServerBlaster won't blast when channel source is set to tuner. I downloaded the source code and fixed that so my IR blasting issues are fixed, but now I'm also having the same "no signal" issue when changing channels.

It works well for channels under 12, but any channels above are very intermittent and mostly don't work.

I'm hoping i don't have to write my own plugin for this so if anyone has a quick fix I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

~Randy

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again Randy

So it seems you're using the Hauppauge blaster? I wasn't expecting that as most people use IRSS. That might explain why it wasn't blasting on the tuner input. Anyhow, it looks like the blaster is actually failing to send the commands for channels > 9.

[COLLAPSE]2011-08-29 13:38:25.093750 [(13)]: card: CardTune 5 28 PVR:5:-1

2011-08-29 13:38:25.093750 [(13)]: card: Tune 5 to 28

2011-08-29 13:38:25.093750 [(13)]: card: user: PVR:5:0 tune tv:28 Freq:61250000 Channel:28 Country:Canada Tuner:Cable Video:Tuner Audio:Automatic

2011-08-29 13:38:25.125000 [(13)]: card: to different transponder

2011-08-29 13:38:25.140625 [(13)]: analog: Tune:tv:28 Freq:61250000 Channel:28 Country:Canada Tuner:Cable Video:Tuner Audio:Automatic

2011-08-29 13:38:25.140625 [(13)]: analog subch:0 OnBeforeTune

2011-08-29 13:38:25.156250 [Remote blaster(10)]: Blaster Sending: Channel:28, Card:5, VideoInput:Tuner

2011-08-29 13:38:25.156250 [Remote blaster(10)]: ServerBlaster.Send: Case 2

2011-08-29 13:38:25.156250 [Remote blaster(10)]: HCWBlaster: Changing channels: 28

2011-08-29 13:38:25.484375 [Remote blaster(10)]: HCWBlaster: UIR_GotoChannel() failed: 1

2011-08-29 13:38:25.484375 [Remote blaster(10)]: HCWBlaster: Finished Changing channels: 28

2011-08-29 13:38:25.484375 [Remote blaster(10)]: ServerBlaster:confused:end Finished

2011-08-29 13:38:26.203125 [(13)]: Analog: Tuned to country:2 video:246000000 Hz audio:250500000 Hz locked:False

2011-08-29 13:38:26.765625 [(13)]: analog subch:0 OnAfterTune

2011-08-29 13:38:27.171875 [(13)]: analog: LockedInOnSignal waiting 20ms

2011-08-29 13:38:27.328125 [(15)]: PID seen - type = Audio

2011-08-29 13:38:27.328125 [(15)]: audioVideoEventHandler Audio

2011-08-29 13:38:27.328125 [(15)]: PID seen - type = Video

2011-08-29 13:38:27.328125 [(15)]: audioVideoEventHandler Video

2011-08-29 13:38:27.531250 [(13)]: analog: LockedInOnSignal waiting 20ms

2011-08-29 13:38:27.875000 [(13)]: analog: LockedInOnSignal waiting 20ms

2011-08-29 13:38:28.312500 [(13)]: analog: LockedInOnSignal waiting 20ms

2011-08-29 13:38:28.671875 [(13)]: analog: LockedInOnSignal waiting 20ms

2011-08-29 13:38:29.015625 [(13)]: analog: LockedInOnSignal waiting 20ms

2011-08-29 13:38:29.046875 [(13)]: analog: LockedInOnSignal could not lock onto channel - no signal or bad signal[/COLLAPSE]

Further: note the tuner is being tuned to the wrong frequency. I'm not entirely certain why/how it gets channel 2 when you're specifying the frequency, but I'm guessing that the 2 is coming from the 28. Your fix to get the blaster to work with the tuner input must be incomplete. Using the tuner is obviously very different to using an s-video, composite or component input. The logic needs to use the frequency (if specified) rather than the channel number...

Is there a reason why you've gone with the Hauppauge blaster instead of IRSS and the standard TV Server blaster plugin?

mm

R300

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Randyh, What kind of STB are you trying to blast??? I quickly scanned this thread but did not see a STB listed......

randyh

Portal Member
    November 2, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Gentlemen,

So it seems you're using the Hauppauge blaster?
    I'm using ServerBlaster standard plugin if that's what you mean by the Hauppauge blaster. Your seeing those failed channel changes in the log probably because i've encountered a recent issue with the blaster through MP. At first it seemed blaster and remote were both working, but later discovered IR.exe will crash randomly. After re-installing IR and blaster the remote works, but the blaster stops working. Blasting with SVHS as the source no longer works either.

Anyways, i did try IRSS and i'm not using it because the ServerBlaster was way easier to setup. The way i read the IRSS setup guide, it seemed the purpose was to get the STB remote to work with MP. From "Set Top Box Blasting":
    The distance between the STB Remote and the MCE IR receiver should be around 2 to 5 cm
    I don't have a MCE IR receiver and i doubt the Hauppauge receiver works with my STB remote. I tried to get it to learn and no go. My Motorolla DCT-700 STB wasn't listed. Correct me if i've got this backwards.

Previously the blaster was functioning having the tuner tuning all channels to the same frequency. The blaster would send the channel to the STB (after my code modification) which is correct, and when MP would attempt to change channels, it would simply return to channel 3 - also correct. The last snag in this whole deal is MP most (not all) of the time giving a no signal above channel 12 for which i was hoping there was a quick fix.

I'm not worried about the blaster not working right now. I know it does ultimately work because i've test it through BlastCfg.exe. I'll take a further look at the HCWIRBlaster code after i get this no signal issue resolved. If i need to, i'll write a plugin that directly wraps blaster.exe.

For the MP channel changing issue right now i'm thinking of modifying the TVController to stop sending the channel change to the card but still sending the channel change events for the ServerBlaster plugin...and then see what problems that causes. This is probably the first time you've had this request but i kind of wish the lower level tuning logic would be factored out to its own plugin. If this actually would work, i'll always have to update MP from source.

If you have a more sane suggestion than what i've proposed i'm all ears. If you really think the audio sync issue is more fixable, i can run it through S-Vid again and send up the log files.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm using ServerBlaster standard plugin if that's what you mean by the Hauppauge blaster.
    I said Hauppauge blaster because that is what I see in your logs (HCW is Hauppauge computer works). You've clarified so I think we're on the same page now. According to the wiki that plugin actually no longer works with anything other than XP. I have no idea if that is true or not, but future-proofing would be one very good reason to use IRSS with the TVE3 Blaster plugin.

Your seeing those failed channel changes in the log probably because i've encountered a recent issue with the blaster through MP. At first it seemed blaster and remote were both working, but later discovered IR.exe will crash randomly. After re-installing IR and blaster the remote works, but the blaster stops working. Blasting with SVHS as the source no longer works either.
    Okay.

Anyways, i did try IRSS and i'm not using it because the ServerBlaster was way easier to setup. The way i read the IRSS setup guide, it seemed the purpose was to get the STB remote to work with MP. From "Set Top Box Blasting":
    The distance between the STB Remote and the MCE IR receiver should be around 2 to 5 cm
    I don't have a MCE IR receiver and i doubt the Hauppauge receiver works with my STB remote. I tried to get it to learn and no go. My Motorolla DCT-700 STB wasn't listed. Correct me if i've got this backwards.
    I think you misread. Just like any other blaster, TVE 3 Blaster plugin must be trained to understand the commands that your STB remote uses so that your STB will understand the blaster. IRSS is very versatile software and that does make it a little more complex, but it is also incredibly powerful. It is used *a lot* for supporting blasting (most people use it instead of ServerBlaster).

Previously the blaster was functioning having the tuner tuning all channels to the same frequency. The blaster would send the channel to the STB (after my code modification) which is correct, and when MP would attempt to change channels, it would simply return to channel 3 - also correct. The last snag in this whole deal is MP most (not all) of the time giving a no signal above channel 12 for which i was hoping there was a quick fix.
    Well according to the logs, the reason MP/TV Server is giving no signal is because the tuner is tuning to something other than channel 3 (61.25 MHz)... where there really is usually no signal. As you would have read earlier in the thread, using the channel field for the blaster and overriding it with the frequency field for the PC tuner is somewhat tricky as TV Server is writing those overrides into your system registry. This should be considered as a hack. I actually get the impression that leftover registry entries from your earlier testing may be the reason why your channels below 12 are working. This would be 100% sheer coincidence though. The fact that channel 12 works is also sheer coincidence - for some reason there happens to be signal (maybe from the STB) at 204 MHz.

I'm not worried about the blaster not working right now. I know it does ultimately work because i've test it through BlastCfg.exe. I'll take a further look at the HCWIRBlaster code after i get this no signal issue resolved. If i need to, i'll write a plugin that directly wraps blaster.exe.
    Again, the no signal issue is a direct reflection of the fact that the tuner is being asked to tune to frequencies where there really is no signal. I don't know for sure whether it is your blaster configuration, the ServerBlaster, the code changes you've made, or registry entries not working. I can try and test whether overrides above channel 12 work when I get home but my expectation would be that ordinarily TV Server would work even with the overrides. I don't think you're going to be able to resolve the no signal "issue" until you figure out exactly what is going on or go back to s-video/composite/component. If I had to guess I'd say that low channels work because of left over registry overrides and high channels don't work because there are no registry overrides (or possibly ServerBlaster is "de-tuning" the tuner... or possibly the overrides have limited capabilities).

For the MP channel changing issue right now i'm thinking of modifying the TVController to stop sending the channel change to the card but still sending the channel change events for the ServerBlaster plugin...and then see what problems that causes. This is probably the first time you've had this request but i kind of wish the lower level tuning logic would be factored out to its own plugin. If this actually would work, i'll always have to update MP from source.
    That might work for awhile, but remember if you ever reboot then you have to ensure the tuner is tuned correctly. Personally I don't think it is a good long term solution. The lower level logic may be turned into a "plugin" in time, however it won't be in a hurry.

If you have a more sane suggestion than what i've proposed i'm all ears. If you really think the audio sync issue is more fixable, i can run it through S-Vid again and send up the log files.
    I can actually see the s-video testing you did in the logs you posted so no need to do that for me only. If it were me, I would be doing be going back to s-video, if only to get rid of the apparent unreliability of the tuner when overrides are used. According to your logs you're using FFDShow in MediaPortal. The FFDShow audio codec actually has the ability to delay the audio. Further, you can experiment with other video codecs and the encoding quality (a high video encoding quality may delay the video significantly). Note all testing should be done in MediaPortal as the "preview" function in TV Server configuration uses the codecs with the highest "merit" in your system... which could be anything. Also MediaPortal is optimised to work around various issues with specific codecs.

I'll get back to you about ch > 12 results on my system ASAP - hopefully tonight (like within the next 5 hours) although I've promised to build some patches for some people first.

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom