[solved] Setup Issue - Hanging on Starting Services (1 Viewer)

MartyWakat

Portal Member
January 16, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Aloha All,

I’ve been using MediaPortal 2 for a couple years but I’ve been running the Summer 15 version I think. I decided to update to the newest version and I’m having a problem. I first just tried installing without trying to remove the old version or anything. It hung near the end of the install at “Starting Services’. I then tried removing from Add/Remove and then manually deleted folders in ProgramFilesx86 and tried install again...same problem. I have checked for all updates in windows update (Windows10) and gotten all available. I am running install as Admin and choosing default install for a standalone machine. I have tried custom install and choose a different folder than previous installs with same issue. I have used CCleaner to cleanup registry and any orphaned dll files and general cleanup. I have tried to manually download and install .NET as many forum posts I found with this error mentioned possible .NET issues but window install says I have current version and stops install.

I’m willing to take any suggestions to try and get the install to complete. I’ve looked through the log that is available after the failed install and it doesn’t really tell me much.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

It is not possible to upgrade a Summer 15 version and your settings need to be redone. All your data will be lost and need to be recreated by the automatic importer.
    1. Please delete (or at least rename) the Team MediaPortal data folder C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal
    2. Uninstall all Dokan versions, except 1.0.5 - reboot
    3. Run the installer again - the latest version is 2.2
    If issues persist, turn to the .NET part.
    I have tried to manually download and install .NET as many forum posts I found with this error mentioned possible .NET issues but window install says I have current version and stops install.
    We saw similar problems yesterday (German thread Posting #41). The solution was to use a .NET cleanup tool and remove all 4.x.x versions from the machine. It was then possible to install .NET 4.7.1, after which MP2 was installing without issues and the service started. The user didn't post which tool he used, but I trust you will find something yourself. Otherwise post a comment and I'll ask in the other thread.

As a former WMC-user you may particularly like the WMC skin.

MartyWakat

Portal Member
    January 16, 2016
    Home Country
    Thank you so much,

Your first suggestion worked. I had forgotten about the ProgramData\TeamMediaPortal folder since it was a hidden folder. I deleted that folder and also uninstalled the Dokan library sources and rebooted. Installed smoothly after.

Mahalo

MartyWakat

Portal Member
    January 16, 2016
    Home Country
    I have added a few of my media servers and am loving the interface of the new version.

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom