SetupTV issues switching from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro (1 Viewer)

Joe O'Mara

August 17, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I do not suspect many people have had this issue, yet, as Windows 10 is still rolling out.

Earlier today I installed MediaPortal2 in anticipation of switching to Windows 10 this afternoon (now accomplished) and losing Windows Media Center in the process. After installing MediaPortal2, in Windows 7, I was able to setup and watch TV. Now that I have switched to Windows 10, I have no TV.

Now in Windows 10, in the client, I select TV and get the error indicator with notification "No TV provider available (yet)" which I figure means I need to run SetupTV again.

When I run SetupTV I get the attached error message:
redir

(https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...authkey=!APABOkWodgz_5rY&v=3&ithint=photo,png)

I figured there may be something in Windows Firewall that might be preventing the setup from running though I have enabled what I believe to be all MediaPortal2 related apps in the firewall rules and still have not had any luck.

If you are a Windows 10 user and have encountered this error and know how to fix it or if you have any idea what might be the issue or even have reasonable suggestions in what to try, please let me know!

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

(Yes, there is an IP address in the error message that I have blurred out. It includes a port number that I am not willing to publish on the internet for all to see : ) )

Attachments

• mp2.jpg
    mp2.jpg
    307.5 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome Joe :)

I figured there may be something in Windows Firewall that might be preventing the setup from running...
    Yes, I'd tend to agree.

...though I have enabled what I believe to be all MediaPortal2 related apps in the firewall rules and still have not had any luck.
    I suggest you check the following thread in which I listed the required port numbers for TV Server operation:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/client-server-configuration-help.131697/#post-1148043

Those all apply to you still, even though you're using MP2.

(Yes, there is an IP address in the error message that I have blurred out. It includes a port number that I am not willing to publish on the internet for all to see : ) )
    Okay... though people wouldn't be able to exploit that information unless they (a) had your external (router) IP address (which they don't) and (b) you had made that port accessible to the internet by configuring port forwarding or tunnelling in your router (which I assume you haven't). ;)

Joe O'Mara

August 17, 2015
    Home Country
    I appreciate the information and your help! I will look into it tomorrow and see what I can do!

Side note: I do have port forwarding setup on my router as having the ability to remote in from my phone at any time is really, really awesome! :)

AquAticO

August 30, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Joe, did you solve the problem already? Or is there anyone else who can help me?

Actually I have the same problem, Windows 10, trying to run channel scan in tv setup and it crashes with an error message (translated from original german): "Generic error: An available connection was closed by the remotehost".

After this, the TV Service isn't running anymore. If I try to start SetupTV again, I get the same error-message like Joe posted above. If I restart TV Service, also SetupTV works... until I get the "Generic error..." again...

I also double- and triplechecked the port-config in windows firewall, even if it's turned off, it won't work.

Any solution insight?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @AquAticO
    Hello and welcome :)

You are using MP2, right?
    If so, you should not expect to find a TV service, because the TV engine is running within MP2 Server.

I'm not able to offer any further insight unless you can provide log files.

AquAticO

August 30, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sorry, maybe I was a little missunderstandable (if that word exists in english :D)...

Talking about "TV service" I mean what MP2 (yes, you were right) provides me in the Win10 notification bar, where it says "not connected to the server" and where I can "start service" etc. by clicking right with my mouse. After the "Generic error...", the service says "disconnected" and I have to "start service" again.

I attached my Server.log, ServiceMonitor.log and streaming server.log (ServerError.log is always empty, what I think yesterday wasn't the case, but I totally cleaned it up and can't say for sure).

Hope this helps, I can upload other log files if needed

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thank you for the clarification :)

Talking about "TV service" I mean what MP2 (yes, you were right) provides me in the Win10 notification bar, where it says "not connected to the server" and where I can "start service" etc. by clicking right with my mouse. After the "Generic error...", the service says "disconnected" and I have to "start service" again.
    Okay, so this means that the MP2 Server has crashed.

In order to determine the cause of this problem, I will need access to your Windows application event log file. Please can you export and attach that log.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes, that's the right one thank you.

There are various errors in the log file.

Most often the crash seems to be caused by DivXDec.ax:
    Faulting application MP2-Server.exe, version 2.0.0.1507, faulting module 559fcc13, version DivXDec.ax, fault address 0x7.3.0.48.

I can only guess that you have DivX software or codecs installed, and it is somehow causing problems. If I were you, I would uninstall it.

Joe O'Mara

August 17, 2015
    Home Country
    Hello AquAticO,

My solution was to uninstall and reinstall which did work however that did not resolve my problem completely. Occasionally on a reboot things revert back to a previous unworking state and not just MediaPortal2. I have a dual monitor setup and my second monitor will be switched offline on reboot occasionally. I'm currently looking into this situation as there is something not working as expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom