Short User Report - trying MP2 (1 Viewer)

jmuellers

Portal Member
August 20, 2010
After many years with MP1, I gave MP2 a try.
Reasons:
- I like the centralized media management
- constant problems with freezing picture on our DVB-S2 setup

After a few hours I gave up and switched back to MP1.

(1) I couldn't get the EPG to start fetching data. I have configured it just like in MP1 (the settings didn't really change).
I checked all grouped channels, I checked the language.
Neither does it grab during timeshift, nor during idle. Manually starting the grabber also has no effect.
Didn't see anything in the log except for
[2018-01-27 19:27:22,946] [816490 ] [DVB EPG timer] [INFO ] - subch:0 SetupPmtGrabber:pid 1964 sid:2B8E
[2018-01-27 19:27:23,057] [816601 ] [DVB EPG timer] [INFO ] - subch:0 SendPmt:2B8E 2B8E FFFFFFFF 0
[2018-01-27 19:27:23,058] [816602 ] [DVB EPG timer] [INFO ] - subch:0 SendPMT: Channel is FTA, nothing to do.
[2018-01-27 19:27:23,059] [816603 ] [DVB EPG timer] [INFO ] - subch:0 stop tif
[2018-01-27 19:27:23,059] [816603 ] [DVB EPG timer] [INFO ] - **************************************************
[2018-01-27 19:27:23,060] [816604 ] [DVB EPG timer] [INFO ] - ***** SIGNAL LEVEL: 100, SIGNAL QUALITY: 100 *****
[2018-01-27 19:27:23,060] [816604 ] [DVB EPG timer] [INFO ] - **************************************************
[2018-01-27 19:27:23,061] [816605 ] [DVB EPG timer] [INFO ] - user:epg add
[2018-01-27 19:27:23,062] [816606 ] [DVB EPG timer] [INFO ] - card: SignalTuneEvent card: 3 / subch: 0

(2) Futhermore the skins really need getting used to, after coming from Titan skin.
I have to add that I set this up for my father, for whom it will not be so easy to get used to a new GUI.
Somehow there are issues going back to fullscreen from the EPG (probably related to [Bug] - [MP2-704] Leaving FullGuide with ESC displays MiniEPG). My father is used to just press ESC from the guide - I can never teach him otherwise.

(3) Also, without having investigated this further, it seems that keyboard shortcuts are not activated anymore by default?
I taught my father to press B before turning of the TV, such that the live TV stops.

(4) On one client, A/V was heavily desynced after some minutes of watching (ARTE HD). Standard LAV configuration.

Long story short, I didn't get it to work after a few hours, with many years of experience from MP1. (1) and (2) were the dealbreakers for me.
I'll switch back to MP1 and try to keep it running.

:unsure:

But I am confident I will try again soon, it's awesome how far the development got.
The media import seemed to work flawlessly and it was great to have movies and series available on all clients without a hastle! :):):)

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for the feedback. Without investigating deeply, I can give you a quick reply.

(1) I couldn't get the EPG to start fetching data. I have configured it just like in MP1 (the settings didn't really change).
    I checked all grouped channels, I checked the language.
    Neither does it grab during timeshift, nor during idle. Manually starting the grabber also has no effect.
    Didn't see anything in the log except for
    MP2 is as MP1 not grabbing any EPG and has no options for that. This is done by TVE3 engine, which is the same between MP1 and MP2.
    Probably you set something wrongly in TV-Setup (same as MP1) or there was temporarily a problem with your TV-provider. But it should not be related to MP2.

(2) Futhermore the skins really need getting used to, after coming from Titan skin.
    I have to add that I set this up for my father, for whom it will not be so easy to get used to a new GUI.
    Somehow there are issues going back to fullscreen from the EPG (probably related to [Bug] - [MP2-704] Leaving FullGuide with ESC displays MiniEPG). My father is used to just press ESC from the guide - I can never teach him otherwise.
    We had big discussion for that and I agree with your here, ESC should bring you back to FullScreenTV. Didn't try it lately, but pressing EPG button a second time should work. Edit: I just tried ESC and I'm coming back to FullScreenTV. Which version of MP2 are you using?

(3) Also, without having investigated this further, it seems that keyboard shortcuts are not activated anymore by default?
    I taught my father to press B before turning of the TV, such that the live TV stops.
    MP2 is another product as MP1 and not based on it. Please check WIKI for MP2 for MP2 key shortcuts

jmuellers

Portal Member
    August 20, 2010
    Thank you @ge2301 for your reply.
    I am perfectly convinced that with very high probability the error is sitting in front of the screen (and I'm talking about my screen, not the developer's) :)
    Although I have double-checked all EPG setting, I must have missed something.
    However, starting the MP1 TV Server, the EPG was grabbed immediately, so at least it was not a problem with the provider.

As for the ESC issue, I was using the latest MP2 version. I can not produce anymore under which circumstances I was not able to go from the (Mini-)EPG to the TV:
    The only thing that worked was going to the right hand menu and go back to fullscreen from there.

The important point here is probably: It will be hard for my father to adjust to MP2 being a new software, as you pointed out.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As for the ESC issue, I was using the latest MP2 version. I can not produce anymore under which circumstances I was not able to go from the (Mini-)EPG to the TV:
    Ah ok, I thought you ment from FullEPG. For MiniEPG the problem is known (therefore I just use FullEPG). Root cause is, that the MiniEPG is only an overlay and not indepentent screen, so it's not part of the workflow history. ESC is defined to bring you back one step in the workflows. In your case this would be the screen before entering the LiveTV, most probably the HomeMenu with the MenuTiles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom