Should Someone be Selling Media Portal??? (1 Viewer)

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    It does state in the lower part of the page that it is MediaPortal and not MCE. It however does not state the software is free and where to get it. The GPL does allow people to sell it but only for a reasonable price which includes the cost of the media its sold on. However US$20 is very steep for what would be cheap cds ($0.20 or $0.30 each).

Dordo

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2004
    I left him a message saying

"You do realise that you are selling open source software which is not only illegal but immoral. You have quite a well established account it would be a shame to see its reputation damaged for something as silly as this. Please remove this or I will be asking Ebay themselves to do it for you."

I would encourage you all to do something similar.

civikdude

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2005
    U.S.A.
    Well, this is sickening. Did you happen to notice the number of sales he made on just that one auction? US $120 and counting...

Dordo - well phrased:

Dordo said:
    "You do realise that you are selling open source software which is not only illegal but immoral. You have quite a well established account it would be a shame to see its reputation damaged for something as silly as this. Please remove this or I will be asking Ebay themselves to do it for you."

Boilermaker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2004
    You have quite a well established account it would be a shame to see its reputation damaged for something as silly as this
    Look at the other stuff he is selling...his "well established" account is built on similar auctions. He takes free software, compliles them on cd's and uses shady descriptions to sell them. And buried in a long description they put a tiny note in there that you aren't getting windows mce. This just proves the old saying about a sucker born every day. Look at their feedback, it looks like there is only one person that's called them on reselling freeware.

btw, here is my favorite cyonics auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=102534&item=5590375001

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi,
    Dordo said:
    IMHO it's clear (by looking at all the other products he sells) he's making a living out of selling free software. His "well established" account can IMHO only mean that

a) there are plenty of other morons who buy his stuff without even looking into what software they are actually buying.

b) the feedback is fake.

I'd vote for "b", judging by the amount of ebay fishing mails I've seen lately. IMHO it's a waste of time sending the seller e-mail. I think it's better to contact e-bay and/or microsoft directly. But I doubt they do anything about it (see Boilermaker's comment)...

Kind regards,
    Michel

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom