Show recordings from two different folders (1 Viewer)

hawk425

December 19, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I was wondering how I can set MediaPortal to show recordings from a second folder. What I do is record to a local drive, then move all recordings to a NAS nightly. I'd like to be able to see the recordings on the NAS as well in the Recordings folder. I cannot find any option in MediaPortal to set a second Recordings folder. I have tried using Link Shell Extension to create a symbolic link, but MediaPortal isn't detecting the recordings in the symbolic link folder.

Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    What I do is record to a local drive, then move all recordings to a NAS
    I do this too. But I define the folders on the NAS as MP's "Video" folders. This enables me to arrange the files on the NAS into folder trees that reflect the way that I want to organise the recordings.

MP's "Recorded TV" folder imposes a flat structure. If the "Recorded TV" folder contains other folders, MP does not show the contents of those other folders. This imposes severe limitations on how you can arrange your recordings.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

hawk425

December 19, 2016
    Home Country
    Thanks. But doesn't the "Videos" folder just show the filename? I feel like the "Recorded TV" folder looks a lot better for organization of TV. Which is why I was hoping to populate the "Recorded TV" folder with the transferred files. I am coming from a Windows Media Center setup, where you could automatically organize TV by TV show, so the flat structure worked fine.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    That behavior is the default way of MP2.
    Recordings are identified wherever they are stored, this includes also WMC recordings.

So if you have no other reasons, you should give MP2 a try. At the moment the latest weekly build is recommended, if you have few weeks you also could wait for upcoming 2.1 release ;-)

hawk425

December 19, 2016
    Home Country
    Does MP2 automatically scan all local and mapped drives or something? I would think you would still have to set it up to look in a folder.

Also, I tried MP2 but had issues with it stuttering on live TV. I couldn't figure out why or how to fix it. Recordings played back fine. Switched to MP1, and live tv has been working fine.

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    I was wondering how I can set MediaPortal to show recordings from a second folder. What I do is record to a local drive, then move all recordings to a NAS nightly. I'd like to be able to see the recordings on the NAS as well in the Recordings folder. I cannot find any option in MediaPortal to set a second Recordings folder. I have tried using Link Shell Extension to create a symbolic link, but MediaPortal isn't detecting the recordings in the symbolic link folder.

Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

You may move the files to NAS but you have to update the tvdatabase manually. If you have any sql experiment it will be easy. ;)

hawk425

December 19, 2016
    Home Country
    Ok. I am currently experimenting with the My TVSeries plugin. I think this may suit my needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom