single seat or server -> client, which is faster for zapping? (1 Viewer)

Freelance

August 19, 2012
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Dear MediaPortal users :)
I've been pulling my hair off for couple of days trying to get smooth chanel zapping on below config.

HTPC - AMD E-450 Zacate with SSD disk and 8GB memory.
DVB-S2 TBS6981 2.0.0.18 drivers
Single seat installation MediaPortal 1.2.3

I've been a Dreambox user for many years and i'm used to chanel zapping of ~1 second.
I understand that i cannot get the same speed with HTPC / MediaPortal but the best i get with MP is 3 seconds on the free SD channels on same mux and worst up to 6 seconds between free SD and coded HD channels.

I've been reading this and other forums and i've tried all advices but without sucess.

In the simple provided TBSViewer that came with the TBS6981 i can get the zapping time down to 1,5-2 seconds and this is something that i can accept.

I've used Robbo100 guide to setup the MediaPortal http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-entertainment-pcs/1602323-mediaportal-setup-guide.html

Could you please advice your experiences on below questions?

1. What is the fastest zapping time for DVB-S2, on what channels and which configuration?

2. Is single seat fastest or could i get faster zapping with server -> client? I wonder if the Zacate E-450 is to slow for single seat?

3. If i upgrade the Zacate E-450 to faster platform would that improve the zapping time? Observe that zapping on free SD in TBSViewer is acceptable as it is today.

4. Any special guide/tips to faster zapping time?

5. I don't need timeshifting and recording, could those be turned off and by that improve zapping time?

6. What is the fastest available DVB-S2 tuner card that have fast zapping time on MediaPortal and what is acceptable time for zapping on coded HD channels?

Many questions which i hope are interesting for everyone to get some clarification on, hope you can all contribute to get them answered.

Best regards, Freelance

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
August 12, 2012
Home Country
Germany Germany
I have nearly the same configuration and have the same issue. I tried all tips but nothing helped. The zapping times are very bad compared to any sat receiver or any other dvb software e.g. DVBViewer, TBSViewer (OEM version of DVBViewer), ProgDVB, Windows Media Center, etc.

bubsy83

Portal Pro
July 28, 2010
Brecon
Home Country
Wales Wales
Try changing the zap delay by going to MP Config app (not TV server) > GUI > On Screen Display > Zap On-screen Display > Zap Delay (sec).
Change it from 2 to 0

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
August 12, 2012
Home Country
Germany Germany
This has no effect. It still takes a few seconds to switch the channel. Everyone is giving this tip, but this is configuration options does not improve the zapping speed.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello folks

I don't mean to be grumpy but like my signature says - please give us the information that we need to help you! If you have a problem with zap speeds then we need log files to enable us to check what is causing the delay.

***Please*** - if you want help, follow the forum rules for support requests and post logs.
    https://www.team-mediaportal.com/support/forum-get-expert-advice
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/3_Forums/2_Log_Files

In this situation, follow the instructions for reproducible problems in the second link. When you get to the bit about reproducing the problem, zap between a handful of channels, then close MP and post the zip file that is automatically generated.

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom