Skin Settings XML (1 Viewer)

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    The latest SVN now includes the ability for skinners to include an extra TVSeries.SkinSettings.xml as part of their package. The purpose of this file is to present the skin as you intended, the settings that can be defined are:

* View Settings e.g. the layout that should be used by default for Series\Season\Episode\Group View, also can control the text presentation in list layouts.

* Formatting Rules

* Logo Rules

These settings are probably some of the most frustrating settings needed to be manually defined by the user after installing different skins. This will also (I Hope) limit the number of questions being asked on the forums e.g. ...why the skin doesnt look right? or ....why am I missing logos? etc.

I have attached example xml for various skins as well as a new SVN compile of the plugin, the xml contains comments so I hope you all understand how it works from reading through them.

Advanced users whom what to control what they see can simply remove the file from their skin directory or they can set the import attributes for the above settings to "false".

Update: 12 Feb 2009:
    New Setting to control supported layouts, requires v2.2

Update: 28 Jan 2009:
    New Settings to Control Graphics Quality & Appending Logo/Image to ListViews

Here is an example of Supported Layouts, use this to define what layouts your skin supports. This will also be the available layouts define in the Context Menu when you invoke the Layouts Menu/Button from MediaPortals GUI:
    Code:
    <layouts>
    <group List="true" SmallIcons="true" />
    <series ListPosters="true" ListBanners="true" Filmstrip="true" WideBanners="true" />
    <season List="true" Filmstrip="true" />
    <episode List="true" />
    </layouts>

Here is an example of 'Graphics Quality' settings which are used for StreamedMP skin:
    Code:
    <!-- Only used for Thumbnail view creation e.g. Filmstrip and WideBanners. Episode Thumbs are the exception -->
    	<!-- #TVSeries.SeriesBanner and #TVSeries.SeasonBanner properties dont use the values below, the image will be 
                      presented as they are but will be using a delay of 250ms to present image -->
    	<!-- Higher values will achieve better graphics but will result in a drop in performance, test accordingly
    	<graphicsquality import="true">
    		<seriesbanners>55</seriesbanners>
    		<seriesposters>20</seriesposters>
    		<seasonbanners>30</seasonbanners>
    		<episodethumbs>90</episodethumbs>
    	</graphicsquality>

The 'Appending Logo/Image to List Views' is a new attribute in Views e.g:
    Code:
    <views import="true"  AppendlmageToList="false">

This setting was removed from the configuration dialog, and now can only be set here. Its not used by many skins that im aware of. I think SpinSafe are the only ones. If this setting is set to true, then you can't take advantage of Watched/Unwatched icons in list views.

These new settings require v2.0.3314 or greater

Please let me know what you think or anything I can improve on,
    Damien

Attachments

• TVSeries.SkinSettings.zip
      30.7 KB

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Really great to see this implemented. A big step forward towards "plug & play" installation.

Edit: This new SVN build will look for this .xml as "default", right? Nothing has to be changed for the other .xml's (tvseries.xml etc?? Easy enough to edit and check for myself I guess. :)

Emph

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Really great to see this implemented. A big step forward towards "plug & play" installation.

Edit: This new SVN build will look for this .xml as "default", right? Nothing has to be changed for the other .xml's (tvseries.xml etc?? Easy enough to edit and check for myself I guess. :)

Emph

That's right, the new SVN build will automatically load the settings from this file if it exists. There is no need to edit any other xml file.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I'm getting exception error (crash) with this new build. Don't sure if it's a skin issue (Mediastream by pilehave) or something else. The log suggests it's something backdrop related though.

Emph

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi emphatic, can you also upload your error log and mediaportal log.

I think what you are seeing with the tvseries log "Failed to load Fanart" exception is not the root cause of your crash but I will into why its throwing an exception.

Do you enable fanart in Series? also do you have fanart for all your series?

Cheers
    Damien

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Yes, I have fanart for all my series. I've updated to the latest .xml you've provided for Pilehave in his' skin thread, but should this happen again, I'll get back to you with the logs.

Edit: It just crashed again.
    Emph

jonaskp

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    So this means that in the future we do not have to change a bunch of settings in TV-series to get "StreamedMP" to look correctly? If so, that sounds great. It will really help making installation a lot easier.

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    So this means that in the future we do not have to change a bunch of settings in TV-series to get "StreamedMP" to look correctly? If so, that sounds great. It will really help making installation a lot easier.

Yeah, thats exactly right. It will also benefit you when you change skins as it will save you reformatting those settings again (assuming skinner include this file) which most likely wont be compatible.

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Yes, I have fanart for all my series. I've updated to the latest .xml you've provided for Pilehave in his' skin thread, but should this happen again, I'll get back to you with the logs.

Edit: It just crashed again.
    Emph

Thanks, it seems to be crashing in the fanart fading logic. I will take a look.

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I have updated the DLL in the post after doing some testing for myself. I also went ahead and created a SkinSettings pack for the following skins:

* Aeon wide
    * Black & White 1080
    * Monochrome
    * Indigo
    * PureVisionHD
    * Indigo
    * Titanium
    * Xface

A few things I noticed while looking at the various formattingRules/LogoRules:

* Some skins had logo rules defined in a non-relative path e.g. C:\Program Files, I updated such that they are relative to Mediaportals skin directory e.g. skin\Monochrome\Media\TVSeries\Logos
    * Most skins did not appear to have logos distributed so I tested by copying Monochromes logos into the respective skins Media\TVSeries\Logos directory
    * Aeon wide had logo\formatting rules but the logo rules dont appear to work in the default TVSeries.xml as part of the package. This is perhaps by design

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom