Skinnable virtual keyboard and maybe predictive input (1 Viewer)

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
December 7, 2004
United Kingdom
Hi -

Have spent today making a skinnable virtual keyboard (currently using the same skin images from the XBMC build on my son's Xbox). The following screenshot is from MP:

mytorrents.png

Would really really like to have some form of predictive text input for use with remotes, has anybody looked into this already? I'm confident that supporting predictive input shouldn't be too challenging with the exception of finding suitable dictionaries. Got any suggestions on where we could go for these?

In the meantime I'm off to mourn the shutting down of suprnova.org...

Cheers,
Lee.

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    looks good.
    R u gonna upload the sources for this on Sourceforge patch area ?

A

Anonymous

If it already looks like a real keyboard, why not making the layout QWERT(Y|Z) compatible?

just my 0.02€

Dek

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2004
    United Kingdom
    No, I don't believe in open source!!! :twisted:

There are still a few todo's left on this one but as soon as they are done and I've had time to make sure that there are no blindingly obvious bugs then I'll upload the code - this will take place before I make any attempt at implementing predictive input.

If it already looks like a real keyboard, why not making the layout QWERT(Y|Z) compatible?

Since it's skinnable this shouldn't be too difficult. More opinions please...

A

Anonymous

Looks great, I like it a lot better then the current one, and I would definily second using QWERTY format, as im a lot more used to finding letters like that, maybe have a button where the CTRL/WIN/ALT keys are that would switch between A-Z and QWERTY, preferable saving what it was last on a defaulting to that, but nice work as it is

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Credit for the way it looks goes to the person that created the images, I assume that it's the guy who created the Project Mayhem skin?

A switchable layout is an excellent idea! I was thinking that one of the dummy buttons could be reserved for a context menu type affair to support feature's like those added to the keyboard by Agree for enhanced searching in My Music.

I'm also thinking that there are other nice personalization features which could be included to make the keyboard more suited for a particular use, the ability to favour numbers before letters and symbols when entering text SMS style (e.g. there aren't many artists who's names begin with a @, ! or * so for music searches you'd be able to specify that SMS entry should favour numbers, for URLs symbols will be of more importance than numbers etc) and more.

For me, the ability to enter text quickly and accurately via a remote will increase the possibilities of MP greatly. Hence my concentrating on the keyboard before the plug-ins I'd like to work on.

* edit *

Have just done a quick search and finding a comprehensive and free English word list shouldn't be that much of an issue. Not so sure about other languages though.

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    you do know about the sms style input we have in the MSN plugin right?

Just so you won't start @ 0 again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom