Skinning guide - discussion and download (1 Viewer)

sab-to-go

Portal Pro
October 18, 2012
Home Country
Australia Australia
hi is there a way i can create a new skin but based on the "simple default skin for MP2"? not sure i understand how this works? i can see the files under "media"(guessing this is the default skin) but how does a new folder get created under plugins, how do you give it a new name to select inside MP2? where does the dll come from? is there some help or start area i can goto? thank you (sorry if this sounds dumb to anyone)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    (guessing this is the default skin)
    The default skin is in "SkinBase"

how does a new folder get created under plugins, how do you give it a new name
    This can be done with Explorer. Simply create a new empty folder with a name you like. Inside this new folder make another folder named "Skin". Then copy the "plugin.xml" file from "Reflection" skin into the new folder (not in Folder named "Skin") and change the Plugin ID inside the plugin.xml.
    PluginId="{CA7543A8-D7DF-44BC-A6AC-75AB3911FE43}" this long hex number inside {} is a so called GUID. You can find some GUID generators in internet by simply google them...
    You should replace "Reflection" with your chosen name in every part of the xml file.
    In the "DependsOn" section of the xml there are three lines. The first one sets the skin basis to the default skin. The other two lines can be removed if you don't want to use various backgrounds or weather informations...

Now you have generated a new skin based upon the default skin. You can select this new Skin in the MP2 Client but you won't notice any difference to default as you didn't change any skin files. now.

The rest you can encounter by looking at e.g. Reflection skin folder. A .dll normally isn't necessary for a skin. This is needed only if the skin needs some extra features (like the main menu in BlueVision or Apollo Skin). Such dll are written in .NET as any other part of MP2.

But most important is to read the wiki before you start:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/2_MEDIAPORTAL_2/8_Contribute/Skin_Design

Then you hopefully understand the general structure of skinning in MP2...

sab-to-go

Portal Pro
    October 18, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    thank you for that its starting to make alittle sense? can i ask what files do i need to copy to override/change the multitvguide in the default skinbase?

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    All TV related screens and styles are provided by the Slimtv Client plugin. Please check its Skin subfolder
    Edit: plugin is contained in Incubator folder

Last edited:

sab-to-go

Portal Pro
    October 18, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    ok so you cannot override the multi epg guide? eg remove the tv station icons, change padding etc? was hoping to make it self contained so when new releases of MP2 come alone i dont have to edit anything outside of my skin folder no "system" file need changing.

Attachments

• multitvCapture.PNG
      multitvCapture.PNG
      733.5 KB

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    ok so you cannot override the multi epg guide?
    OFC you can override this. You simply need to add a folder with the name of your skin in "SlimTv.Client\Skin\" folder and place your modified skin files there. If later an MP2 upgrade is done, your folders will be kept...
    Only while a "format C:" or a complete MediaPortal products removal happens, your skin folder get lost. For those rare cases you should keep a copy of your modifications somewhere so you can write it back if needed...

sab-to-go

Portal Pro
    October 18, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    hi thanks for the "SlimTv.Client\Skin\" folder info. sorry not really up to speed with where all the stuff is(this is my first time looking at changing a skin).
    so can i ask another question. can you point me in the general direction of file/how the HOME main menu is created?
    also what does "OFC" mean? thank you for you help.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    what does "OFC" mean?
    OF Course...

general direction of file/how the HOME main menu
    Files to first look at are:
    home.xaml
    master_bare.xaml
    master_menu.xaml

But I'm no skinner, I only understand about 5% how skinning is working on MP2...
    So you need to "try and error" after reading the wiki and maybe someone else can help better...

osre

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Only while a "format C:" or a complete MediaPortal products removal happens, your skin folder get lost. For those rare cases you should keep a copy of your modifications somewhere so you can write it back if needed...
    Or if your skin gets an update package, and you install this package with the future PackageManager, then any locally modified files would get overridden.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Or if your skin gets an update package, and you install this package with the future PackageManager, then any locally modified files would get overridden.
    Not the best behaviour, I fear... Especially on skins user-modified files are very common. We need to keep them (at least a backup) also a skin update happens.

In this case this did not matter as he wants to create an own skin that probably never will be updated by plugin manger at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom