Skins to download separately (1 Viewer)

naghiksarila

Banned Users
May 31, 2018
Home Country
Suriname Suriname
As the MP setup grows bigger and bigger, wouldn´t it be better, to deliver the skins separately? I know that a lot of people think, MP has to be a complete "out of the box" solution, but as it reached 16MB now, maybe it´s better to split it?

At least as long as MP is under heavy development, and you download a new version every week. If it is "finished" (will it ever be?), you could offer the full package

Last edited by a moderator:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I know that a lot of people think, MP has to be a complete "out of the box" solution
    Yes, I think that this is essential. But this requires only one skin to be included in the base package.

wouldn´t it be better, to deliver the skins separately?
    Yes, apart from the one "default" skin that must be included with the base package. The obvious choice for this default skin would be "DefaultWideHD", not because of its name, but because it is still actively maintained. The "Ares" and "Titan" skins could be omitted from the base package.

Hmm, I am glad that it is not me that makes this decision.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    but as it reached 16MB now, maybe it´s better to split it?
    How much would that save? 16MB is really small these days given Broadband and Terabyte HDDs.:p I appreciate not everyone may have that but suspect you are very much in the minority if you don't. Personally I would be very happy to see more skins included in the base package.;)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    How much would that save?
    I have several skins on my laptop. These are the sizes that I get for the skin files when they are:

-- Compressed into a 7z archive (representative of their size in the MP installation exe),
    -- Decompressed (after installation complete).

Amped: compressed=41MB, uncompressed=51MB
    Ares
    : compressed=80MB, uncompressed=104MB
    DefaultWideHD
    : compressed=60MB, uncompressed=121MB
    Titan
    : compressed=57MB, uncompressed=63MB

I don't know what compression algorithm is used for the skin files in the MP installation exe, but it is probably similar to the 7z algorithm. So omitting Ares and Titan from the MP installation exe would reduce the size by approximately 137MB.

Finally for comparison, the sizes of recent MP installation exes are shown below. MP 1.12 does not include Ares, and DefaultWideHD had not yet had its revamp (that occurred in a later release):

MP 1.12: 105MB
    MP 1.19: 217MB

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Last edited:

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    As the MP setup grows bigger and bigger, wouldn´t it be better, to deliver the skins separately? I know that a lot of people think, MP has to be a complete "out of the box" solution, but as it reached 16MB now, maybe it´s better to split it?

At least as long as MP is under heavy development, and you download a new version every week. If it is "finished" (will it ever be?), you could offer the full package.
    If you think MP's setup is big you should try to get MP's sources from github. Please, ensure you have several GBs free on your PC. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom